Spin class.

Options
My app says i worked off 500 calories doing spin. Is this about right of I worked hard at it?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How long the class was makes a big difference! :smile:

I don't do spinning classes but do use them for indoor training.

Very rough estimate for me as an experienced cyclist would be:
    600/hr - moderate
    700/hr - hard
    800/hr - extreme
  • shanye12345
    shanye12345 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Chris what app do you use for recording you spinning I did a spin and tone last night I normally use a Garmin forerunner 405 for my outside work out.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    1) did you use a HRM While you were in your spin class?
    2) was that an app that told you that or the bike?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's a function of time and intensity. I do a spinning class (1 hr) with my tri club and depending on the workout that week my Garmin (and how hard I work) will estimate anywhere from 500 to 700 cal expended.

If it was an hour long class and you were working hard 500 cal doesn't sound unreasonable.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My rough rule of thumb worked out pretty accurately!

Did a hard training session today. An hour of 2:30 min intervals fast flat/seated climbing/standing climbing and my personalised HRM gave me 701 cals (HR in a fairly narrow band throughout, varied cadence and resistance).

Obviously fitness levels make a huge difference to what's possible for an individual.

• chrisbennett1962
    chrisbennett1962 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Chris what app do you use for recording you spinning I did a spin and tone last night I normally use a Garmin forerunner 405 for my outside work out.

Just use mapmy...
  • chrisbennett1962
    chrisbennett1962 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. It seems about right. It was a 45min class but I worked hard at it.