Want to be healthier

Options
I am hoping to get healthier and hopefully I can make my goals. I could use some help on what to eat?
Just a bit confused due to all the chatter about what to eat???

Replies

• 1nprgr3s
    1nprgr3s Posts: 61 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Eat a wide variety of foods in their most natural form possible ie. fresh fruit instead of tinned, fresh meat/poultry/dairy rather than highly processed and stick within your calorie goal.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I like what @1nprgr3s wrote. I would add to make sure that your vegetable choices have many colors. It's not just because these look attractive on the plate, of course, but they also have many needed nutrients in them.

Also, as they say, if you are eating packaged or canned foods, if the ingredients are not common foods, nix them. Fresh is always best. Really, fresh is the only way to go.

Have you seen the divisions on the plate? This one is the best:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=nutrition+plate&view=detailv2&qpvt=nutrition+plate&id=8F56C4DAC6B484875B9AB80B1C060E67F0959471&selectedindex=5&ccid=r1/Agh5N&simid=608001416948223490&thid=OIP.Maf5fc0821e4d3e345da1bea4c56ec9c0H0&mode=overlay&first=1
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I like the above plate, but I would also suggest avoiding white breads and sticking to great grains, checking to see that you get the most fiber from them. My personal favorite bread is Ezekiel Bread.

They neglected to mention eating lots of colors of vegies.

They also neglected saying that 8 - eight ounce servings of water are needed.

They didn't bring up coconut oil, but ignore all the hype about it. All those platitudes are built upon bad science.

Don't do juice. Lots of sugar and empty calories, because you need the pulp and often, you need the peels.

Cold cuts, bacon, hot dogs (other than Hebrew Franks) and other processed meats are chock-full of junk we should not be eating.

I hope you fall in love with this journey! Happy, healthy YOU!
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You will get a million opinions of what this would consist of. Many will simply say calories in vs. calories out. In my personal opinion~because I have lost over 80 pounds and it works for me, I personally try to avoid fast food (places with drive thru's~lol) and high sodium prepackaged foods and only resort to them on occasion. I prefer to eat healthy lean proteins such as chicken, turkey, tuna, fish, eggs, beans and lean meats along with healthy carbs (thin breads, brown rice, wild rice, sweet potatoes) and lots of vegetables and fresh fruits. Hydration is so important. Watch calories from drinks and condiments. Get daily exercise. It's really up to you.