Should there be a 'cheat' day?

Options
Okay....so currently, I am consuming 12-1500 calories a day and working out daily (running two miles, walking one...or should I more accurately say 'lumbering' two miles :o). I have set a pretty strict diet that I don't want to deviate from (oatmeal, eggs, cheese, plain tuna, chicken breast, banana, green veggie, yogurt for desert!)...its only been four days but I know that I can sustain this over a long period of time.

Here is my quesiton....is it worth having a 'cheat day' where you are allowed a meal of 'naughty food'? Will that help the process of sticking with a more stringent eating program if I can look forward to a day where I can enjoy the 'finer things in life'? Or would it derail progress....

Any suggestions on this??

Replies

• gecikedi
    gecikedi Posts: 12
    Options
    I let myself have a "Cheat Day" and then found that I was venturing off my goal. Bad Food is adictive to me and if I let myself slip just once I will be back into old habits.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Okay....so currently, I am consuming 12-1500 calories a day and working out daily (running two miles, walking one...or should I more accurately say 'lumbering' two miles :o). I have set a pretty strict diet that I don't want to deviate from (oatmeal, eggs, cheese, plain tuna, chicken breast, banana, green veggie, yogurt for desert!)...its only been four days but I know that I can sustain this over a long period of time.

Here is my quesiton....is it worth having a 'cheat day' where you are allowed a meal of 'naughty food'? Will that help the process of sticking with a more stringent eating program if I can look forward to a day where I can enjoy the 'finer things in life'? Or would it derail progress....

There are no "naughty" foods and there should be no reason why you have to wait to "enjoy the finer things in life" when it comes to food. You do not have to cut out the things you enjoy to have a healthy body and get to/maintain a healthy weight.
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    I think it's good to have a cheat 'meal' a week but if I allowed myself to have a complete cheat 'day' then that would probably undo all the good I'd done the rest of the week for me personally because I know I would go overboard. If I don't have a cheat meal a week then I'll have a couple of treats instead.
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I can't handle a cheat day. It turns into a cheat week most of the time. I think a cheat meal or a cheat snack....that I can handle a little better. I don't end up with the food hangover and still don't feel deprived. And here's my best advice....don't cheat alone! I find that if I share the chips and dip or go out for ice cream with someone, I'm less likely to carry on. But if I'm eating alone....that's a problem.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I ate 2400+ calories on Tuesday. It was amazing and delicious. And the next day I was back on track (200 calories under even, cause I wasn't hungry until around 2pm) and felt great. It was literally not a big deal.

That's 700 calories above my goal btw. I did log 55 minutes of exercise but I don't track workout calories so I treat them as if they don't exist. So. 700 calories over.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I think the concept of a cheat day is a bad one. Instead, I incorporate things I like that are calorie dense into my daily eating and include them in my calories. I also know that if I'm going out to a friends and know they'll be food I won't be able to fit into that day's schedule, that I save a little every day to make sure I might be over for that day but under for the week.

I love to eat. I will need to watch my food, basically, forever. The research on long term weight maintenance says people who stick to their calories but eat enjoyable food throughout keep weight off.

For me, feeling I was depriving myself waiting for a cheat day would make me miss the food more and eat too much when I cheated.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I think most people have a cheat day. Just don't make it more then once a week where you go overboard IMO.
  • ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Some people say that the healthy, clean way of eating is a lifestyle - it is for me, however, I find that sometimes, I just want to enjoy comfort food, or a BBQ, or pizza with my friends.. I don't think it's bad to cheat yourself. I am to the point where I have been eating healthy/clean for so long, that I don't even desire a cheat day, but rather a cheat meal! If I know my friends and I are going to my favorite restaurant over the weekend, or that I'm going to be out on the town, I will know not to eat pizza or anything like that during the week.

It's all in moderation - usually I let myself have 1 cheat meal, 1 cheat dessert, and 1 cheat drink each week.

Hope this helps :-)
  • neongoldie
    neongoldie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No. If I want something 'bad', I eat it - but in moderation. I log it, work it into my calorie goal for the day and move on with my life. For me, losing weight isn't about a 'diet'. It's a lifestyle change. If I cut myself off from 'bad' foods while I'm on a 'diet', I'm only going to go overboard on them when I stop dieting and I'll gain all the weight back.
  • bennysammysofie
    Options
    i eat what i want pretty much...just cut back on how much. Portion control is key for me. I am doing a 10 day experiment of not logging food. Just seeing whats gonna happen.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I can't handle a cheat day. It turns into a cheat week most of the time. I think a cheat meal or a cheat snack....that I can handle a little better. I don't end up with the food hangover and still don't feel deprived. And here's my best advice....don't cheat alone! I find that if I share the chips and dip or go out for ice cream with someone, I'm less likely to carry on. But if I'm eating alone....that's a problem.
    I think there are many of us that feel this same way...but I prefer to call it a treat because to me "cheat" indicates being on a diet. Who are we cheating on?

I also don't consider "food" naughty... there are some items that are sold in stores that I don't consider food which might be what you're calling naughty food? Like Cheeto's etc., there is no food in them.. :noway: :laugh: Empty carbs like that are what I have to be really careful about...we all react differently and for myself sometimes I can't only eat one bite and it sends me over the end.

So I do better staying away from empty carbs...for now...Maybe in time when I feel more in control.. When I do eat them it takes me a bit of time to get back on track...with the sugar highs and lows it throws my body off.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different! What are your goals???
    For example: if you are eating this way to clean up your diet (eliminate things like flour/sugar/dairy) then if you throw in a cheat day you wont give your body a chance to see how it is working.

OR: if you are eating this way b/c this is a healthy plan you think you'll stick with, is it too strict that you feel like you NEED a day to "cheat"? b/c then maybe instead of a cheat day pick a few times a week when you exercise more and loosen up a bit with a few treats.

OR: are you worried that self control on this plan will be hard so you can work towards a day of not worrying? b/c if self control is the problem your cheat day may start a binge...

For me:
    Sometimes(like right now) when I've been stuck at a weight for a while, I'll lower my carbs (to like 100 per day), and do that for most of the week. But I'll budget for maybe one meal and one snack that week that don't really fit, and try to add some extra exercise.

I think the best way to arrange to treat yourself is to find a way to fit it into your goals! Weekly calorie amounts are more important than daily perfection: Maybe on the weekend budget a few hundred extra calories, and eat two fun meals instead of your weekly regimented small healthy meals.

Hope that helps...
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    IMO it depends on what you're doing.
    if you're competing, there aren't any cheat days. if you're trying to lose weight by a certain time, you shouldn't cheat, b/c it may get you off track. if you have no time restraints, and coasting, you can have a cheat meal once a week. Just stay on track either way. don't lose focus

you got this!
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can't handle "cheat days ". I tend to overdo. That being said, if I truly want chips or such, I just eat it, log it, and don't have something else. If it fits in my calories, I eat it.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday-no counting-no worries. Eat what ever I have craved or wanted during the week. Maintained over 2 years and do this every Sunday;-)
    Keeps me on track all week, Love Sundays! I eat very well during week. 80-20.Works for me, Did this while losing,and 2yrs of keeping it off. I do not call it cheat, It's life and food.I just keep Sunday open;-)
    Take care!
  • arose544
    arose544 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can’t do cheat days. I’m an ‘all or nothing’ type of gal. One cheat day usually leads to 2 cheat days and then I struggle to get back on track.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

It's only been 4 days and you're asking about a cheat day so I'm thinking that you aren't going to want to stick to eating tuna, bananas and oatmeal for a long time. There are no bad foods, there's only eating too much food. Setting a restrictive diet isn't necessary or the smart way to lose weight. Eat the things you like within reason and within budget. Don't set an aggressive goal which you probably have to have that low of a budget. It's far better to lose slower and be able to stick with it than lose fast, fall off the wagon and gain it all back. The finer things in life can be enjoyed any time and once you lose weight you still have to monitor intake to maintain it.
  • mkluze
    mkluze Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you can handle a cheat day they are actually very beneficial. If you pick one day a week to eat whatever you want, your bodies metabolism will be tricked into speeding up.
  • luulu1999
    luulu1999 Posts: 119
    Options
    honestly....I just try to stay under my calories I eat what I want and I will probably eventually change that to eat healthier stuff and I have made some changes but if I want a cupcake and I have the calories for it then I eat it......to me that is making it a lot easier to stick with it....and I have lost 13lbs in the first month....I have had very few times I have actually went over my calories but I consider those cheat days but I try REALLY hard not to do that
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I do not plan an actual cheat day or meal, I don't see the point for me. I don't actually like the phrase "cheat day". I'm not giving up all unhealthy stuff completely. I just want to eat healthier most of the time.

Vacations, birthdays, cookouts, work events, late nights at work, what my husband wants, whatever are just part of my life. We go out to eat, attend cookouts,etc. When those pop-up I might not eat as well as other days. I just make adjustments before, after or even during by having a smaller portions or making better choices to keep me on track. Just the other day I had a Happy Meal. I didn't plan on it, but we were on a 11.5 hour road trip and DH wanted Mc Donald's, so that is what we had.