Diabetic and under active thyroid

Hi!
I have had a tuff couple of years. I am now desperate to get back on track and lose some weight. X

Replies

• RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Well, welcome here! I understand the stuff about diabetes -- or, at least, I'm getting there!
  • sandygaylegunn
    sandygaylegunn Posts: 87 Member
    Ms. Confused here. On thyroid meds and newly diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes. Is there a diet or instruction here on Fitness Pal? How many carbs, Sugar, etc do I need? Where can I find this info? Thanks.
  • uwhockeyla
    uwhockeyla Posts: 1 Member
    I can't address thyroid meds, but I was diagnosed Type 2 this spring and have found My Fitness Pal (MFP) to be an extremely useful tool in planning & tracking meals targeting a range of carbs every meal. I'm trying to eat between 45 - 60 g of carbohydrates each meal and eat every 4 - 5 hours. Since I'm eating a bit more than 4 meals a day I've just created a couple more meals & snacks in the app and labeled them as I best think of them. (First meal, Breakfast, Lunch, Snack 1, Dinner, Snack 2).

Guidelines on what to eat and how many can be found at http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/carbohydrate-counting.html

Note too as a man my range is higher than what is often recommended for women. I believe women's range is 30 - 45 g carb per meal.
  • WannabeDiabeticFree
    WannabeDiabeticFree Posts: 5 Member
    I'm Type II diabetic and have hypothyroidism as well. Just joined MyFitnessPal and sent a friend request to connect.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I'm pre-diabetic, so I'm here to improve and prevent myself from slipping into full diabetic status. So far my weight is coming down approximately 1 lb per week, and my readings at home have been consistently lower than what the doctor found three months ago. Due for a repeat checkup next month, so I hope to stay on track.

For me it is mainly more exercise needed, but I'm also eating more fruit and veg, and cutting out extra sugar wherever possible.
  • turkeysub09
    turkeysub09 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm in the same boat! I just found out this pass Friday and my AC1 level has been lower than what the doctor has told me.(109) but he told me I need to lose 21 pounds and since then I have lose 3 pounds. Let me know what your doing to lose more pounds.
  • juliecourtier
    juliecourtier Posts: 3 Member
    I suffer from an under active thyroid it's been hard but in on track now