overcoming disappointment?

Good Morning, MFP!

I hope you are all doing well. :happy:

I wanted to post something in hopes of hearing how some of you who may feel similar to me deal with overcoming disappointment.
Just a few minutes ago, my husband's cousin sent out pictures of us all at a cousin's campout. Let's just say I was not pleased with the results... I barely recognized myself and my body. :sad:
The past couple months, I've really been stepping it up in terms of logging meals and walking more... I guess I'm just now suddenly aware of how crucial my dedication is to myself and my health.
While I know I'm making progress and/or choices for the better... it's hard not to want to run for the hills or face first into a deep fried platter of goodness at the same time.

Thoughts? How do you overcome these feelings? And, if you were making changes but still feel in a "rut" about it... do I just go all that more harder? I'm trying to make this a lifestyle change....and not just something I burn out on. Again.

Thanks for your positivity! :glasses:

Replies

• tmuellenberg
    tmuellenberg Posts: 265 Member
    Hi there!

I know that feeling and have been there myself! I would see infomercials for workouts and think I was starting to look a lot more like the "before" pictures. Then in December of 2011 I stepped on a scale and saw the highest number I had ever seen. That was my turning point.

I think you can use this as your turning point or "aha" moment. You know you want to get healthy, and let those pictures be your motivation. I would set a goal, get a plan in place and tell people about it to help keep yourself accountable. It sounds like you really want to make the lifestyle change, and you absolutely can do it!

Tom
  • lovenaire
    lovenaire Posts: 10
    Yep, it was seeing myself in pictures that made me snap. I asked my wife if I really looked like that. She looked at me and said yes honey. I then asked her how she is able to make love with me, and act like she feels that way. She said, because I love you.

It was that moment, that I started on a REAL path of getting back into shape, and being an active person. I think of how I feel about myself, and how disgusted I am that I let myself get this way over the years. I think of how my wife must have to shut her eyes and imagine me when I was younger (or worse, someone else). And it is those thoughts that keep me from digging into a big bowl of Queso, or drinkning Cokes. It is those thoughts that make me put on my shoes every evening and go for a walk, and to push myself a little harder each day to go further and faster.

I realize that I did not get here overnight, and that I won't get back to where I once was overnight either. I also know I dont want to come back to where I am right now. So what I have to do is change how I think, eat, sleep, play, and move. I know I can eat some queso or have a couple of margaritas, but instead of stuffing my face till im miserable, I eat a little bit on a few chips, and savor the flavor. I am changing, I am allowing myself to change, and I am allowing myself to grow and mature as I should. I am no longer trying out a fad diet to drop weight really fast, only to end up a fat pig again a week later... I am changing who I am into what I want to be...

That is what motivates me. Maybe you can use that. Maybe that will spark a light for you. But I assure you, if you keep at it, it will work. I am even able to buy the family cokes, and pastries, and I just dont want them... I know I surprise myself too! You can too, I know you can. We can do anything we set our mind to. We are powerful brilliant creatures, that can adapt, survive and thrive. See you at the finish line.