What are some good running/walking shoes?

Options
Hi you guys,

So, question, what are some good running/walking shoes you'd recommend? I've been using Nike Roshe and when I do insanity, halfway in they're killing my feet. I need sneakers that I can wear to walk, run, or do these crazy jump, skip, and hops insanity makes you do. Any suggestions?

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I second going and getting fitted. What works for one person may not work for you. For example, I over pronate when I run, so I need good, supportive shoes with inserts to stop this from happening. Those same shoes might end up giving you an injury. So everyone could suggest what they personally wear, but it is complete useless information for you.
  • katherengomez76
    katherengomez76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    HOKA one
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have a new love affair with New Balance.
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I prefer New Balance. Make sure you replace your shoes periodically. I wore my running shoes several years to the point where there was not enough cushion and ended up with shin splints.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You can't wear running shoes for insanity
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Yes, get fitted. And don't be shy about trying a ton of different shoes; make sure you're happy and comfortable. What works for one person might not work for another.

For example, my wife swears by her Saucony's with her custom orthotics. They're the only sneakers she will wear, and they're traditional running shoes with thick soles. I, on the other hand, spend most of my non-work time in Vibram FiveFingers and similar thin-soled shoes. If we switched shoes we'd both be in pain...so I don't suggest shoes to her or vice versa.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

100% this. You should NOT wear the same shoes for running/walking as you do for crosstraining, as running shoes don't have the necessary lateral stability that crosstrainers do.

If you're going to run, get fitted for running shoes at a running store where they will do a gait analysis (such as Fleet Feet - NOT a big box place like D!ck's or Foot Locker).

That said, I typically do my crosstraining barefoot (I have high impact workout mats in my workout room at home).
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Yep fitted. I prefer Asics.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »

100% this. You should NOT wear the same shoes for running/walking as you do for crosstraining, as running shoes don't have the necessary lateral stability that crosstrainers do.

If you're going to run, get fitted for running shoes at a running store where they will do a gait analysis (such as Fleet Feet - NOT a big box place like D!ck's or Foot Locker).

That said, I typically do my crosstraining barefoot (I have high impact workout mats in my workout room at home).

Yep, I do insanity bare foot too.
  • mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Go see a podiatrist. You may benefit from orthotics. I have Plantar Facitis (sp?), and have constant foot pain due to diabetes as well. I wear New Balance, and thick socks, with orthotics.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I had absolutely no clue that you cannot do Insanity in running/walking shoes. Barefoot seems harsh, but I may just have tired old feet from running. Live and learn.. :)
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Running shoes do not equal cross training shoes. They are do different shoes, that support your feet in two different ways.
  • princessllb74
    princessllb74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think New Balance are wonderful sneakers. They have all kinds of sneakers and the staff are very helpful. There is a machine in the store to fit you properly. Good luck
  • bergk24
    bergk24 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Asics and Brooks seem to work the best. Personally I would get fitted it makes all the difference.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of Hoka One One's in May and like them for both walking and running. Cushy but very supportive. Best of all, the heel doesn't slip and the toe box is nice and roomy.
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I used to do Crossfit in converse. The flat sole was good for box jumps etc and they felt study and tight fitted. I don't think anyone uses them now though! For running I like Nike Vomero. They are cushioned without losing too much road feel. I used to have Saucony, when I was running and over pronate, but they seem to have cured it! (I went to a fitting)
  • masterLyrics
    masterLyrics Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of workout shoes you can get Adidas Nike New Balance Under Armour you always want to look for the ones with the double cushion softness outside of the shoe softness inside of the shoe it may not sound like much bubbles are great
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Fitted ones. Otherwise you end up like me with lower back pain everyday.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I had a fitting session at a running store and they recommended a specific Asics shoe that was great so tend to stick to Asics now.