Beef

Options
sbtripp
sbtripp Posts: 44 Member
I have a husband who loves beef and we are trying to lose together. Any good beef recipes??

I tried turkey burgers and they were a fail for him ("okay, but I like beef better"). Any way to make turkey taste more like beef burger? I tried turkey spaghetti and it too is a fail. He does like turkey chili though - yay!

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Have you tried mixing the beef and turkey half and half? Or bison? It tastes much more like beef without the fat.
  • dlcshan
    dlcshan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I buy 90% lean ground beef. But that is mostly because I'm lazy and don't want to have to drain the meat after browning it. And I like my meatloaf better without all the fat coming out of it. I tried my chili with ground turkey once and found it very lacking. And ground turkey isn't necessarily lower fat although the leaner beef does get more expensive.
    My meatloaf uses
    3 lb(s), Ground Beef
    2 large (50g), " Egg
    8 Tbsp (15ml), Heinz
    1 box, Stuffing Mix Chicken Flavor (Mix Only)
    I divvy it up into 3 smaller loaves because it cooks faster that way. This recipe does make a more dense meatloaf, but that's how we like it. And 1/4 of a loaf has 280 calories if you use 90% lean beef.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I definitely still eat beef and have lost a considerable amount of weight. It's more about keeping an eye on the portion for me. Lots of protein (and fat, depending on the cut).
    Kabobs are great, especially during grilling season. You can eat a ton of veggie kabobs and just a little beef. Smaller portions of sirloin steak with a bunch of vegetables instead of a huge ribeye. Grilled London Broil. Shredded eye of round or top round cooked in a slow cooker - I add this to burrito bowls, sandwiches, on top of a baked potato. Even on Triscuits.

Very lean ground beef is pretty low in calories and can be made juicier in something like meatloaf, meatballs, or burgers by adding finely chopped vegetables - mushrooms, onions, zucchini etc. It's good in tacos as well, since you're probably adding some veggie/cheese/salsa to the mix.

I'm with your husband. I don't really like turkey, especially ground. I have found some chicken sausages I like instead, and I get those sometimes. Al Fresca and even Johnsonville make them, and they usually have a bunch of flavors - italian, cajun, sun dried tomato and basil. Decent in sandwiches, dirty rice, pastas.
    I can do ground turkey if I cook it with taco seasoning and add it to a quesadilla. Breaded turkey cutlets aren't bad - you can bake them instead of frying.