Uncomfortable Topic . . .

Options
I really need some help. I am having serious problems with the runs and I don't understand why. Not to be too gross, but it is pure liquid and has been for weeks. I have made my food diary public and any help would be greatly appreciated. I am at a loss. The only thing I can think of is lactose intolerance, but I have never had this issue before! Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Replies

• gperry227
    gperry227 Posts: 93
    Options
    How is your fiber intake? I know if I take into too much fiber, my body reacts that way too.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    my first guess is lactose intolerance. try cutting your dairy by half and increasing heavy fiber items. you need something to "sop it up" not to be gross either.

you should consider seeing a doctor if it's been weeks. if it just feels like it's been weeks and really has been days, you can probably bulk up on the fiber and be all right, but don't take my words for it.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    you are not eating enough food. your total caloric intake is less than 1200 calories for most days. it's not enough.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It looks like all your nutrients are ok, including fiber. But if you're taking in more than you body is normally used to, it could have this effect. How much water are you drinking each day? Just today, there seemed to be a lot of foods you ate that have a higher water content as well. Try eating a banana a day for a couple days and see if it improves. If it's been going on this long, you may want to check with your doctor. You could get severely dehydrated while trying to find a "cure" on your own.

Hope you find out what's going on and find a solution soon!
    Tina
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I agree--see your doctor. You could even have an infection of some type. See your doc. Take care of yourself.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would definitely see a doctor because it could be bacterial. I know someone who had the same problem and he had been drinking water out of his garden hose while working in his garden. It turned out he had picked up an intestinal bacteria.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    you are not eating enough food. your total caloric intake is less than 1200 calories for most days. it's not enough.

I agree with this post but not sure it would have anything to do with her issue.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I looked at your journal. I have been lactose intolerant my whole life and the feeling from it is not what you are describing. I just get really bloated and gassy. You are also not consuming that much dairy. Yogurt is not dairy in a lactose intolerance sense since the active cultures break down the lactose for you. With the stomach issues are having I would suggest seeing a doctor. In the mean time make sure to be getting lots of fluid with electrolytes. You may have a bug (not really related to your intake). By your food diary I can discern 2 other things; you often don't eat enough calories and you eat some fruit. If I have fruit every day I get very sick, like you are describing. I just can't tolerate that much sugar.

Overall, it has been going on long enough that you do need to go get checked out. After 2 weeks is a sign of serious issues.

Good Luck and feel better. :flowerforyou:
  • sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor by any means, but the first thing that jumps out at me while reviewing your log is your potassium. You have gone over your daily goal quite a bit. From what I have read on-line diarrhea can be a side effect of to much potassium. Ask your doctor to be sure. Hope this helped and Good luck.
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I drink approximately 52 oz of water daily. I drink about 32 oz iced tea (plain daily). I'm definitely not dehyd. I have been having this problem for a couple of weeks now. I just chalked it up to foods and/or dairy products. I will definitely see my doctor though. Thanks everyone!!! You all are great as usual.:love:
  • sjd2010
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I drink approximately 52 oz of water daily. I drink about 32 oz iced tea (plain daily). I'm definitely not dehyd. I have been having this problem for a couple of weeks now. I just chalked it up to foods and/or dairy products. I will definitely see my doctor though. Thanks everyone!!! You all are great as usual.:love:
  • sunflower0022
    sunflower0022 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    fiber, caffeine, and too much lettuce will do this to me... drink lots of fluids, try to avoid caffeine.. which can make it worse.
    I have had this quite a few times.. (I refer to it as 'brown water' LOL)
    My friend gets it too.. from stress and too much coffee..
    Hope this helps.. let me know!
    Hugs!
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    See the doctor ASAP. There is an intestinal bacteria called C.Diff that causes major diarrhea. It is very contagious. If you said you've been going for weeks, it likely doesn't have anything to do with your diet. Even if you don't have this bacteria, it doesn't hurt to get checked because it could be something serious.

Good luck, & I hope it's nothing major.
  • lbragg
    lbragg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    are you taking ibuprofen before your runs? when i was training for my half-marathon i had this problem and it went away when i stopped taking the ibuprofen beforehand
  • sjd2010
    Options
    See the doctor ASAP. There is an intestinal bacteria called C.Diff that causes major diarrhea. It is very contagious. If you said you've been going for weeks, it likely doesn't have anything to do with your diet. Even if you don't have this bacteria, it doesn't hurt to get checked because it could be something serious.

Good luck, & I hope it's nothing major.

My MIL just passed away in April from C Diff. I will be calling my doc tomorrow 8 a.m.
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    I waited 2 years before I got up enough courage to see my doc...I had your symptons among others. I think maybe if I had gone in right away maybe things would have turned out different for me :cry: I was diagonsed with Crohn's (a non curable disease) I have scaring like crazy now, my sad liitle colon. I doubt that you have anything like this though. I am working on fixing the scaring and hopefully my next colonoscopy will be a normal one! GOOD LUCK! Oh I guess I forgot to tell you my advice...see the doc, I regret waiting...:wink:
  • ecac12345
    ecac12345 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would turn to probiotics. I use Culturelle - you can find that at the grocery or health food store, or just get a high quality yogurt with the live cultures in it. You need to replenish the good bacteria in your colon. Good luck!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Iced tea is a diuretic and actually steals water from the body so I wouldn't count that as daily water intake. Same with coffee. And even though you're drinking 52 ounces a day, you should be drinking at least 80 ounces (best rule of thumb is half your body weigh in ounces) per day.

Agree with the other posters to reduce potassium and call a doctor about your condition.
  • bacallmarie
    Options

Dehydration is not just based on the amount of your liquid intake you could still be dehydrated if you are having this problem. If you don't have enough electrolytes you will be dehydrated. Take it from someone who has been dehydrated a lot. And please eat at least 1200 calories this could actually effect your problem
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Call yr doctor ASAP..in the meantime maybe put yr self on the "BRAT" diet like kids when they get diarrhea..and drink fluids so u dont dehyrdrate.
    Good Luck and please keep us posted