Weighted Hula Hoop

Options
Hi. I'm Denise and I'm wondering if anyone one knows if there is any validity in the amount of calories they say that you burn doing the weighted hula hoop. Most sites claim that it burns 150 - 200 calories every 15 minutes. I noticed a difference in the strength of my core but not convinced of the calories I'm burning.

Replies

• KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Denise and I'm wondering if anyone one knows if there is any validity in the amount of calories they say that you burn doing the weighted hula hoop. Most sites claim that it burns 150 - 200 calories every 15 minutes. I noticed a difference in the strength of my core but not convinced of the calories I'm burning.

Hmmm, I will wear my heart rate monitor tomorrow and let ya know!!!
  • DCicci3
    DCicci3 Posts: 6
    Options
    Exactly what is a heart rate monitor?
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor usually shows calories burned based on your resting heart rate. So the more you exercise, the faster your heart beats - and the more often you check your heart rate during the exercise, the more accurate the calories burned will be. I use one all the time when exercising.
  • genann
    genann Posts: 236
    Options
    I haven't used a Hula Hoop for years.:smile: I think its time to get another one. Where do you find the weighted ones?
  • KiriKiriKiri
    Options
    You can order them online, or walk into any "Curves" fitness centers...they sell them there, usually :)
  • Jane1848
    Jane1848 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Hmmm, I will wear my heart rate monitor tomorrow and let ya know!!!

I'm interested to know this also! I have been hula hooping a lot lately because I've been babying an injured knee. I had thought about getting a weighted hoop, but I didn't entirely believe the claims about calorie burn.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    Options
    Best of luck with your knee!!! This doesn't hurt your knee? I am not the most graceful person, so let's just say I get my whole body into the action...hahahaha. I will definitely do this tomorrow with my hrm and let everyone know. Although I am sure the numbers will vary from person to person, but at least it will give some sort of idea. Just too tired to do it tonight! :)
  • rowie
    rowie Posts: 75
    Options
    So glad this question was asked! I have one too, and i love it, but i don't really feel like i'm working that hard! How long do you guys 'hoop at one time? Looking forward to hearing more about this!
  • KiriKiriKiri
    Options
    I started hooping about 2 minutes a day and worked up over several months...it was a SLOW build up. The reason being is that my weighted hoop has these ridges on it (hard to explain). Not sure if all weighted hoops have them? But I was getting bruised from it!!! I now do anywhere from 15-20 minutes a session. Since I have lost weight, my bones are very prominent and the bruising occurs very easily so I don't do it that often... I guess the best route would be build that tolerance level back up again ;)
  • rowie
    Options
    I started hooping about 2 minutes a day and worked up over several months...it was a SLOW build up. The reason being is that my weighted hoop has these ridges on it (hard to explain). Not sure if all weighted hoops have them? But I was getting bruised from it!!! I now do anywhere from 15-20 minutes a session. Since I have lost weight, my bones are very prominent and the bruising occurs very easily so I don't do it that often... I guess the best route would be build that tolerance level back up again ;)

Mine has those ridges too. It's sections of bright colors made of a dense foamy type stuff. I think i got the 3lb hoop. The box says to be careful at first because it may cause bruising. It stopped causing me problems after a few weeks of short sessions. I usually only do like 5 minutes, because the box said something about not going for too long, but i threw it away and don't remember the exact wording. Oh well. If others on here can do it for longer, then maybe that's the key. It will sure make me feel like i'm working harder at it! Happy hooping, all!
  • DCicci3
    Options
    I got the weighted hula hoop at ****'s Sporting Goods. It comes in segments and you have to snap it together.
  • Jane1848
    Options
    Hula hooping is a full-body involvement for a lot of people, I think! ;-)

I can hula hoop for about half an hour before my knee starts to bother me, but only if I spin the hoop in one direction...lol. If I go the other direction, it hurts. I'm just starting to get back to the stationary bike, so it's still nice to hula hoop for some variety since the treadmill has been off-limits.

Thanks for doing the testing! :-)
  • KiriKiriKiri
    Options
    Ok, so I went for 15 minutes straight and only dropped the hoop twice, oops! :) I burned 182 calories. Again, this will vary from person to person. I have a 3lb curvy hoop. Hope this helps!
  • DCicci3
    Options
    Thank you for checking. That really does help. Now I know I'm not wasting my time.
  • rowie
    Options
    How do you guys enter your hula hooping time in your exercise log? What do you categorize it as?
  • Jane1848
    Options
    Thanks! I think I'll get a weighted hoop now.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    Options
    I created my own exercise in the exercise log and logged it as such...