The right amount of carbs

Options
Hi everyone! Just after some advice.

My weight loss has slowed down slightly. I'm hovering around the 1200 calories per day mark, I'm eating a decent amount of vegetables, and I'm eating a good amount of protein too. I think the problem lies with the amount of carbs I'm consuming. My goal (On MFP) is 200g of carbs which I think is far too high. What amount of carbs should I be aiming for each day to boost my weight loss? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You're not losing at 1200 ? Wow. Double check your weighing etc.

Exchanging 100g of carbs for fats or protein might be a benefit - try it and see.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    a man eating 1200 calories would be losing weight like crazy....you must not be weighing/counting right.
  • Ricardinho88
    Ricardinho88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    well I've not been entirely truthful. I've lost 13lbs in a month haha. It has pretty much slowed down to a stop in the last few days though!
  • Muscleflex79
    Options
    13lbs in a month and you aren't happy with that?? of course it is going to slow down - 1-2lbs/per week is a reasonable goal - you were 3lbs+..adjust your expectations!
  • Ricardinho88
    Ricardinho88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    13lbs in a month and you aren't happy with that?? of course it is going to slow down - 1-2lbs/per week is a reasonable goal - you were 3lbs+..adjust your expectations!

I'm very happy with that, I'm just really impatient.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That happens; it's meaningless. Give it a few more days.

However, 1200 is crazy low for a man in his 20s (too low for me, and I'm a 5'3, 125 lb, 46 year old woman). At 1200 (which again seems wrong), 200 g of carbs is about 67%, which is way above the MFP default (at 1200 it is 150) and leaves only 400 calories for protein and fat, which is simply not enough.

But the issue is less the carbs, IMO, than eating too few calories.
  • Muscleflex79
    Options
    you didn't put the weight on overnight, it's not going to come off overnight either. and 1500 is really as low as you should go per day as a guy.