Force myself to eat or not?

Hi,

I have burned 4,553 calories doing 439 minutes of cardio exercises, including "Walking today.

I have had a protein powder drink for breakfast, a sandwich, 3 snickers and a whopper meal to eat + 1,5 liter of chokolet milch and some plain water.

I am not hungry, but I have not eaten a lot I think.

Do I need to force myself to eat my dinner, or is it ok, if I don't fell hungry?

Hope someone can help.

Best wishe

Steen

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    Are you sure those numbers are accurate? 439 minutes of cardio in ONE day?! Sorry, but that sounds unlikely.

What cardio did you do and how are you measuring the calorie burn?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I think you're fine. That would be a hell of a lot of walking to burn 4,553 calories.
  • steengod
    steengod Posts: 35 Member
    I have walked 43 km or 26mi.

I used the endomondo programe on my phone. It's i a programe like Runtastic, but is in my own language.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,396 Member
    steengod wrote: »

I used the endomondo programe on my phone. It's i a programe like Runtastic, but is in my own language.

I suggest that if you're not hungry today, stop eating and use those left over calories for tomorrow because you surely will be hungry then after walking for 7 hrs today. But definitely make sure you are hydrated.

Did you go on a hike or something? Just curious.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    If it's a one off day, meaning that you don't undereat on a regular basis, it's fine not to eat all of your calories. But if you routinely undereat, that is not a good thing.

Was this a walk you did yourself or was it an organized marathon walk?
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Not to be negative, but where is the " real" food? I know it's calories in calories out, but with such a high calorie burn and high workout minutes where are the veggies, protein, and whole grains? With all those sugary snacks and refined carbs aren't you afraid of a major crash?

Put your foods in your food log how many calories are left for you to eat? If you don't mind sharing , how much do you weigh? It could help other posters. It seems like a lot of calories burned with the understanding that the bigger you are the more you more. The smaller you are the less you burn.

What cardio was you doing and how was you tracking it?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If you are like me, your hunger will strike the day *after* heavy exercise. If you aren't hungry today, it may show up tomorrow.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    You did 7 hours of cardio? Did you log your food and know how many calories you ate? Agree with PP- one day of undereating wouldn't matter anyway- but seems like there might be some other issues you need to take a look at. ;)
  • steengod
    edited July 2016

My weight is 98 kg or 216 lbs

I just walked alone, I can't find anyone as crazy as I am. Maybe I could if I was running instead. I just walked on pavement or bicycle path.

The whopper has about 900 kcal and about 1000 for the 3 snickers and about 1500 for the chokolet milch, have no idea about the sandwich, but I am about 3000 kcal below, when my goal is 6453

The "real" food is gone today.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    I'm assuming this is not a regular routine that you do daily? If I'm assuming correctly, get some veggies and whole grains with some protein ( whole wheat chicken sandwich with lettuce and tomato) for supper.

Kudos for doing what you did today.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member

My weight is 98 kg or 216 lbs

I just walked alone, I can't find anyone as crazy as I am. Maybe I could if I was running instead.

The whopper has about 900 kcal and about 1000 for the 3 snickers and about 1500 for the chokolet milch, have no idea about the sandwich, but I am about 3000 kcal below, when my goal is 6453

The "real" food is gone today.

If that's the case and you've actually had about 3500 calories today, I doubt you've under eaten. Even a 7 hour walk would be unlikely to burn that many calories. That would be something like 500 calories and hour, which would require a much more vigorous workout to achieve. The burns MFP and activity trackers give are usually pretty inflated. Do you want to be exercising that much? If you accurately track your calories, you can lose weight without excessive amounts of exercise. :)
  • steengod
    edited July 2016
    I have vacation at the moment and hoped the weather was good on this trip today and two shorter trips in the next two weeks. If I can only make one of the other shorter ones, it is fine two. It is just for fun, and to se how my indurance is next week. Only doing one trip a week.

The route today, I have done before on a shorter distance, and had lot of appetite, when I got home.

I usually just walk for about 45-60 minutes a day. I have no plans of doing more than that, when this vacation is over.

I was just a bit worried, if I would walk around like ghost tomorrow, if I did not force myself to eat.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,841 Member
    There's an equation published in peer reviewed literature, suggeting the walking calorie burn might be more like weight (lbs) * distance (miles) *0.3 for net calories.
  • gnruggirello
    gnruggirello Posts: 5 Member
    If you are not hungry, then don't force it.

I would recommend eating nutritional food tomorrow. The foods you have listed are known to slow down metabolism and store fat.
  • steengod
    edited July 2016
    ok, that is 1/3 of the phone.

Then my burn and what I should eat is almost the same
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited July 2016

I would recommend eating nutritional food tomorrow. The foods you have listed are known to slow down metabolism and store fat.

What foods are you referring to? The Whopper? The protein shake? The chocolate? The milk? Are you saying that those foods will cause fat storage even when someone walks over 26 miles and is in an overall deficit for the day?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited July 2016

I will say I used endomondo in the past, and it severely overestimates calorie burns. it was giving me a calorie every 5-7 seconds.so I stopped using it as I know its not even close to being accurate. I would find something else if possible to use and see how much of a difference there is between the 2.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

all food can be stored as fat if you eat more than you burn. its not any one food or set of foods. where is the proof it slows down metabolism? I would like to see some claims for this. If those things were stored as fat I wouldnt have and be losing weight.