Low Carb - with HIGH uric acid levels(gout)

Options
Has anyone succeeded doing low carb but struggled with "gout", high uric acid levels?? I am very confused on all the things I hear and read.

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I had gout on a high carb diet. Here is what Mayo Clinic recommends:

mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/gout-diet/art-20048524://
  • JTGJTG
    JTGJTG Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My husband struggles with gout. No turkey ever, no shellfish or organ meats, only occasional red meat. Fresh cherries as often as you can. Canned or frozen are good, too (even juice) but don't work as well as the fresh. He was taking indocin, but he is one of the few who gets the side effects really bad (it causes severe paranoia). The cherries work for him (as little as a handful, but more's the better). He was down to one short attack last year and that was due to a weekend of gorging on bad stuff. As long as he stays away from it, he doesn't need any Rx.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/gout-diet/art-20048524
  • RhondaJean1966
    RhondaJean1966 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I heard the cherries too. I love fresh cherries. I am taking allupronol (?). shellfish :( I am definitely going to read that article. Thank you for responding!!!
  • Mapooh68
    Mapooh68 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've had gout twice. Both times at the beginning of low carb diet. 1st time I read low carb diets trigger gout so I quit. Attack lasted 2 weeks.(Big mistake) 2nd time 2 days into Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) and it started clearing out after 5 days. My sister has had gout for years and has figured out her triggers are usually fruit/juices which I was drinking lots of just before starting these diets both times. I found an article that seems to explain why...fructose. According to the article many things affect gout, including insulin resistance, which I have, and my sister is T2D. I've been eating red meat, Shrimp with no issues while on LCHF. My Arthritis and inflammation is greatly decreased and I'm sure LCHF is helping! Here's a link to the article.

https://chriskresser.com/will-eating-a-paleo-diet-cause-gout/
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You should really do what's best for your health with gout...and it's now a low carb diet because you should eat a lot of protein period. You should be carb heavy. Not taking care of gout can worsen it and eventually lead to kidney failure.