I want to do a pull-up.

Options
I was at the playground with my nephew recently and was excited to discover that I could hang from the monkey bars and do leg raises, but I can't do a pull-up. Pull-ups are something that defeated me starting way back in 6th grade PE (I think we girls had some modified version to do, but I couldn't).

So, I've made it a fitness goal. I think my upper body strength isn't terrible, but I'm sure that's part of it. Some of it is also that I weigh 204. I'm 5'10" and a chick.

I've looked up some links here and there, and while I have not been super consistent and serious about strength training, I'm thinking that with time and effort and a decreased weight, I could manage it.

Some of the exercises recommended I already do through my secondary job. A farmer's carry was one thing I saw. I do that every Friday and Saturday carrying a load in each hand while walking - a filled mop bucket and mop and a heavy tote of cleaning supplies.

I know how to bench press, military press, and do dumbbell rows. I can do push-ups. I can do chair dips. I can't do this: https://youtube.com/watch?v=OYUxXMGVuuU.

I have access to my own body weight and dumbbells. There's one of those all-in-one weight machines at my little community gym, but I don't really know how to use it. It requires tons of adjustments for each exercise, and I discovered I was spending more time screwing around than lifting weights, so I stick to dumbbells.

Any recommendations? I'm still losing weight, so that is taken care of. Is that likely to hold me back for awhile even if I become consistent with upper body work? I'm obviously in a deficit, so I know even with strength work, I'm not really building muscle.

I read a disheartening statistic that the majority of female Marine trainees couldn't even do a pull-up.

Replies

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Pull ups are easier the lighter you are obviously. The number one thing you can do is lose weight.

I'm a man and I was 204 in February. I could do around 4 complete pull ups. When I was 220 I could do 1. If you want to train to do a pull up I suggest looking into negative pull ups (you start high and lower yourself slowly) and stuff that are similar in movements and use the same muscles (your lats). Lat pulldown, dumbell rows, barbell rows will all help. Even bicep curls will help. If you can find a gym that has an assisted pull up machine that would be great. You should also try chinups first since they are easier

Here's Uncle Scooby showing you the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I could never do a pull-up. Never. Not when I weighed 80lb. After 2 years of yoga and a million vinyasas, I found to my surprise that I could do a beautifully smooth chin up. Just one, but it was a huge accomplishment for me, as for the first half of my life I could not.

So, any arm workouts help, being able to push your own bodyweight helps, practice practice practice.

And yes of course it will be easier to pull up 150lb than 200 but think how strong you will be if you can do them heavier!
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    A big part for sure is losing body weight. Imagine your avg 5'10 165lb dude. Now ask him to slap on a 45lb plate and do pull ups.

Now, aside from that like most things the way to get better at something is to do that something. The chair method in the video above is the way I have used in the past to train the proper muscle groups for a pull up.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I'm 5'5 and started at your weight. I took a class and we used bands so that progression really helped me cause I could see my progress as the resistance band I used got thinner. Obviously, bands aren't something I would attempt without assistance just for safety reasons. In addition I have a pull bar at home and do weights so I'm sure all of that helped plus losing weight and getting stronger. And definitely don't get disheartened. I'm into double digits now no band with regular or reverse grip.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Negatives, assisted pullups, inverted rows, and an attitude!

Isometric holds near the bottom and middle of the motion help as well. This is the part of the range most people fail.

Obviously it will get easier as you shed pounds as well. Good luck!
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. I went over to my little gym and worked out a bit. Unfortunately, there's no pull-up bar, so I couldn't do the reverse chair pull-up.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. I went over to my little gym and worked out a bit. Unfortunately, there's no pull-up bar, so I couldn't do the reverse chair pull-up.

Home door pull up bars are great too.
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Today I did two pull ups and 2 chin ups in a row. I was so proud of myself because I've been working on this a little while. What I did was use an assistance band. When I started I couldn't even do them with the band. I had a lousy range of motion but I would just do my best to make some kind of movement. Then I just started making an attempt at one each time I tried pull ups and if I couldn't do one, I'd go to the band. I also did the negative pull ups. Whenever I'd go down to my basement to do laundry I'd just try to do one. I just kept trying. I have a door mount pull up bar. Eventually I could do one. So now I still do the same thing. Whatever I can do on my own and then with assistance. Plus, I think regular back exercises like bentover and one arm rows help. Just keep trying.