Updating weight to reflect calories per day confusion

Options
tracymayo1
tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Do I need to change my weight in order to keep updated calories per day goal?

I read somewhere once we should update our weight every 10lbs - but I cannot remember where to do that... It was said this should be done to maintain the proper calories per day needed to keep losing.. I have lost 11lbs - and haven't really been moving (weight wise) anymore...I cannot break this 199lbs.... so I wonder if I should update something (and if so what and where)... I don't want to lose my total lost to date though..

Can what I want be done?

Replies

• Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I would just to see if the goal does change. I will say though, when I recently updated my goals due to a 10 lb weight loss, it only took off around 50 calories.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I would recalculate your goals in MFP. Doing this should not lose your progress. Even if your calorie allotment only changes a little, it's still important to know that. This may or may not help you break through the plateau, but the way I see it, it's better to have accurate information. There's lots of other advice on here about how folks have gotten through plateaus, but the biggest thing for me is to be patient and keep up your good habits.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    KinkJarfld wrote: »
    I do mine every Friday--gain or lose...

I do the same but on Monday. I'll even log it if it is the same.
  • steengod
    steengod Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You change it under My home and check in
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    ok, I don't think I was clear.
    I know where to go to UPDATE my current weight - and I do this whenever I lose anything...
    What I am asking is if I should update my current weight where I put my starting weight everytime I lose 10lbs

for example, when I started this I was 210.
    Should I change that 210 to 199 so it updates how many calories I need per day...

Updating my weight in the CHECK IN does not change how many calories I can eat per day as far as I know...
    and when/if I reach let's say 190lbs - surely I cannot still be eating the same 1600 calories a day to lose 1lb a week...

If this makes more sense?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    ok, I don't think I was clear.
    I know where to go to UPDATE my current weight - and I do this whenever I lose anything...
    What I am asking is if I should update my current weight where I put my starting weight everytime I lose 10lbs

for example, when I started this I was 210.
    Should I change that 210 to 199 so it updates how many calories I need per day...

Updating my weight in the CHECK IN does not change how many calories I can eat per day as far as I know...
    and when/if I reach let's say 190lbs - surely I cannot still be eating the same 1600 calories a day to lose 1lb a week...

If this makes more sense?

That does make more sense. You update your goals - not your weight to get the calories to update based on your new weight.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    You do not need to change your starting weight. Go into goals and run them again to get an updated calorie goal.
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    I must be dumb... the only thing I see in GOALS (under My Home) is the micro/macro info..
    I don't see anything to change weight etc..

It just lists my % of carbs/proteins/fats and then my excersie goals (which I have none as I set sedentary) etc...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    I must be dumb... the only thing I see in GOALS (under My Home) is the micro/macro info..
    I don't see anything to change weight etc..

It just lists my % of carbs/proteins/fats and then my excersie goals (which I have none as I set sedentary) etc...

Above that it says:
    Your Fitness Goals

Would you like help setting up your goals? View Guided Setup

Click on View Guided Setup
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

Above that it says:
    Your Fitness Goals

I just did this and was shocked at how much my calorie goal changed. It dropped by 200 calories. I thought that MFP automatically did this as you logged your weight change, but obviously not. Of course since I was still losing weight at the higher calorie per day, I bumped it back up to that.

• Ready2Rock206
    Options
    cappri wrote: »

Above that it says:
    Your Fitness Goals

I just did this and was shocked at how much my calorie goal changed. It dropped by 200 calories. I thought that MFP automatically did this as you logged your weight change, but obviously not. Of course since I was still losing weight at the higher calorie per day, I bumped it back up to that.

Yup - don't fix what isn't broke! If you can lose on more eat more! :)
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    cappri wrote: »

Above that it says:
    Your Fitness Goals

Because I strictly use the app, I never even got the reminder to update goals for weight lost. Never even thought about it until 2 months in when I saw someone mention it on the forum. I now make sure to update my calories every 5lbs lost. Almost at goal so it's not as often now.
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    Ok I found what I needed...
    So ultimately, shouldn't My fitness Pal automatically update the calories per day when you update your current weight in check in?
    I mean - really that is all you are changing under the My Goals - and you do it anyway if you update your current weight...

But I just made sure my current weight in GOALS was the same as my check in weight (it was) but only when I hit UPDATE did it actually adjust my calories per day...

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I think it does update your calories if your weight changes enough(when you change it in the "check-in" section.) Your goal can remain the same. I also think it gives you better exercise burn estimates when you have updated your weight. For example, you don't burn the same number of calories walking at 4.0mph at 200lb than you do at 150lbs.
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    Ill be sure to check my goals regularly.