Help with FODMAP

Options
ladyreva78
ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
A dear friend of mine is having to eat a low FODMAP diet. The doctors are trying to figure out what foods she reacts badly to (she already spent several nights at the ER with excruciating bloating and stomach pain for which they couldn't find a definite cause, ergo the FODMAP) and are using that as a starting point and will start reintroducing other foods in about 2 months. From what I understand, it will be a rather long process.

Thankfully most of our socializing happens over pots and pans followed by a tasting of the results. She herself is just starting out and can't provide much more information than what she got from her dietician and that doesn't really include recipes... She gave us a list of the foods she can use. It seems to eliminate pretty much all of our usual condiments... Our cooking creativity is running a bit against a wall as we tend to rely on some staples like garlic, onions and broths (the ready-made we use instead of salt includes lactose as well as leek, garlic and onions) as part of that creativity. All of which she currently needs to avoid.

This leads me to my question: does anyone here have experience cooking using a low FODMAP diet and might have some tips on how to create tasty meals? Or a link towards a recipe collection?

Any help would be appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I haven't got a whole lot to contribute, but I just started low FODMAP for IBS two weeks ago. I started a thread to gather information in here: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10418243/low-fodmap-prepared-products-recipes-friends/.

The Monash University FODMAP app is definitely worth buying if you have a compatible device. I am also finding purchasing condiments to be very difficult. I don't think any ketchup or BBQ sauce is possible, for example. I have found onion and garlic free yellow mustard (Simply Organic or Kroger are both onion and garlic free) and have described some other products in that thread. Please contribute anything you find! I would also be interested in a tasty recipe collection. Mostly I am just adapting recipes by replacing high FODMAP ingredients. But I do wonder about overall FODMAP content when you add things up. I have to find a dietician who knows FODMAP to discuss this with...

Also, feel free to add me is a friend if you would like to share meal ideas. My diary is open to friends.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check out the app. She doesn't really speak/understand English, so it might not work too well for her (or it might be just the thing to get her into learning it better.) And I'm definitely going to be checking out your thread for ideas and help.

It's frustrating how little information is around. You just spend your time checking labels and discarding things because the ingredients list seems incomplete and/or is completely absent.