Options
2»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    tcjay100 wrote: »
    When I say "fry" I mean saute with olive oil. I use olive oil because I thought it was better for my heart than other types of oil.

Whether it's "better" or not is a highly debatable topic. But it has been studied extensively enough to say that it is good for heart health.

I wouldn't give up the olive oil completely if you like it. Your body needs fat. Try using less. One trick I like is to add both oil and a little liquid (water, broth, white wine...). Just enough liquid so that it totally evaporates just before the veggies are done. That way the veggies don't stick but still brown up a little once the liquid is gone and get a light coating of olive oil.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    olive oil extra virgin is bad for cooking on it. Cooking on it can make it more carcinogenic. Same with butter. There is something like smoke point(higher then better for cooking). You can cook on olive oil but virgin one. Not extra virgin. As virgin one has higher smoke point. Generally refined oils has higher smoke point and that's why they are safer to cook on it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    olive oil extra virgin is bad for cooking on it. Cooking on it can make it more carcinogenic. Same with butter. There is something like smoke point(higher then better for cooking). You can cook on olive oil but virgin one. Not extra virgin. As virgin one has higher smoke point. Generally refined oils has higher smoke point and that's why they are safer to cook on it.

No, this is wrong. Extra virgin olive oil does not break down at the smoke point like some other oils do because of it's high monounsaturated fat content.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Eat olives instead.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    All oil is going to have around the same amount of calories. You could always try and use less.

This, and count the calories. I use mostly olive oil, but small amounts.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I saute with water. It works fine and makes a nice sauce. (I am currently only eating a plant based diet right now so that includes different ways to cook lots of vegetables)

I have been trying not to use much olive oil, but it is easy to use way to much and it is hard to log. You may not be reflecting what you where using which is why your calorie count became accurate again when you stopped using it.

I know they say olive oil is healthy, but that's only in moderation. I try to limit the amount of oil I add.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I suggest avoiding fried foods and using olive oil sparingly as a condiment. That's more flavor for a smaller portion.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I suggest avoiding fried foods and using olive oil sparingly as a condiment. That's more flavor for a smaller portion.

And a lot of people would totally fail at weight loss if they had to eliminate anything in its entirety permanently from their diet. I eat anything I please when I can fit in the calories. And nearly 90lbs later it's worked just fine for me.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I use cold pressed rapeseed oil for frying and sauteing as it's rather delicious and has a higher smoke point than OO. It's also produced fairly local to me, so win win. I use it sparingly and account for it. A teaspoon or so doesn't actually add an impossible amount to the calorie count of a meal, anyhow but it adds so much to the flavour and texture compared with dry frying.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options

And a lot of people would totally fail at weight loss if they had to eliminate anything in its entirety permanently from their diet. I eat anything I please when I can fit in the calories. And nearly 90lbs later it's worked just fine for me.

True, which is why I did not use the words "eliminate" or "permanently."
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

True, which is why I did not use the words "eliminate" or "permanently."

So I was supposed to know that your words "I suggest avoiding fried foods" actually meant "Don't have fried foods, but once in a while." or "Don't eliminate fried food, but I suggest avoiding them on occasion." Avoid X item, means avoid X item. You may not have said "eliminate" or "permanently", but it's a given since you didn't say "temporarily" or "occasionally" either. If you mean something more than you type we won't know it unless you actually use those extra bits of information when you type it.