How many calories do I need to stay at my current weight?

Options
Im Melissa. I am 35 years old, 5'7" tall, and currently weigh 118lbs... Which just puts me in the underweight category.
In August last year, I was at my heaviest, 168lbs, after my third baby. I decided to change my lifestyle completely. I dedicated myself to good nutrition and fitness. By February, I lost 48lbs! I have kept it off, and the scale really hadn't moved until this week. It's starting to go down again, which is not what I want. I currently have my calories set for 1450, which to me seems like enough food. I'm not hungry at the end of the day, I indulge is desserts, my body feels good. I also run for 60 minutes everyday. And circuit train at least five days a week. What do you think I need to change so that the scale stays put?

Ps. I love running and won't even consider giving it up. It is how I relax my mind....
Thanks everyone!

Replies

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Well....you obviously have to increase your calories a bit to stabilize your weight. If you aren't hungry then having something calorie dense will give you the extra calories without eating too much. Something like peanut butter, cheese, olive oil would be an example. I would start increasing by 100 calories a day, and if you're still losing just increase a bit more until you're holding steady.
  • Littlemissyfit
    Littlemissyfit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will give that a try.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Running for 60 minutes a day is adding at least 500 calories a day that you should be consuming for energy balance, otherwise you're going to lose weight.
  • Littlemissyfit
    Options
    500 calories more seems like so much... Do you think I should put 2 scoops of protein powder in my daily shake? Or is that going to make it horrible. I guess i need to slowly train my body to eat more?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I currently have my calories set for 1450, which to me seems like enough food.
    If you are losing weight on this number, it is very obvious that it is NOT enough.

What do you think I need to change so that the scale stays put?
    Eat more calories. If you are getting full too easily, include more calorie-dense foods into your diet.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm shorter than you, and older than you, but close to the same weight, and don't exercise as strenuously. My maintenance calories are 2200/day. You definitely should be eating more to maintain.

You said your cals are set at 1450, do you eat back exercise cals? If you put your current stats in MFP and say that you want to maintain your weight, what calorie goal does it give you?
  • Littlemissyfit
    Options
    I get the whole increasing calories part... But how can I force myself to eat more? Like I said above, my calorie intake feels like enough. I'm not hungry or tired or having any other negative effects.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Gradually increasing your calories will make the increase easier to stomach. While I think that adding 500 calories overall will be good, I'd go with adding 100-200 per day this week, another 100-200 per day after a week or two, etc. You asked about another scoop of protein powder--that might be an easy way for you to add calories. The powder I use is 120 calories per scoop. Maybe this week add one scoop. Next week add a slice of bread or a piece of cheese or something small like that. Easing your way up should help you out.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    As was mentioned above, high calorie/nutrient dense but low volume foods are a great way to start. Maybe try to have full fat versions of low fat foods you enjoy so you get a few more calories without changing the servings. If you like protein powder in your morning smoothie try adding a bit more. Experiment with different things until you find what works. One thing to consider, I have read many posts from people recovering from eating disorders saying that they didn't feel hungry after a period of time on a very low calorie restriction. You may find that once you start adding a few more calories into your day that the hunger cues will come back again.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I am not insinuating that you have an eating disorder, but that your body may not be giving you the cues you need right now.
  • Littlemissyfit
    Options
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I am not insinuating that you have an eating disorder, but that your body may not be giving you the cues you need right now.

I didn't take it that way at all lol. Thank you for your suggestions
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Check and chart your weight weekly or monthly so that you can catch any over- or under-eating before it causes trouble. Daily weight check is too frequent for you at this stage, IMO.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    1500-1700 to maintain, then eat back your exercise calories.