Arriving to work sweaty

2»

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,396 Member
    I started using dry shampoo last year. It works well but I've found it to be a bit finicky. If I use it I can leave my hair down and it looks ok and I can put it up and it looks good but if I do put it up, I can't let it back down. Whatever style I put it in must stay that way till the end of the day. Kind of like hair spray (which I haven't used since college) but without the hard stickiness. I would definitely try the blow dryer (even on cool) and dry shampoo if needed.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Mine isn't a spray, it's a powder that is applied with a brush.
    rxkdersrpn8l.png
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    I tend to go to the gym before work, and can get ready there. However, when I'm being lazy and decide to sleep in, I go on my lunch break. On those days, I also do the "hoe bath" but I blow dry the sweat out of my hair. It seems weird, but it works! I have a spray bottle with water and spray my hair down a bit, then spray a small amount of leave in conditioner, and dry/style. It's obviously not ideal, but it works, and works well!
  • Marss86
    Marss86 Posts: 33 Member
    This is a tough one!

From personal experience, I wait till my hair is relatively dry from sweat before I take it out of my bun or braid. Then you could lightly dry it a little with your blow dryer and add dry shampoo.

Everytime I let me hair down when it's still sweaty it looks more dirty? However, you will have more creases and dents in your long hair when you leave it tied up till its dry.

OR

After you let down your hair & dry/blow dry and apply dry shampoo, tie back in a low bun for the first couple hours of the day ... It will create nice look waves and then let back down
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    I gym at work, come back sweaty. I have dry shampoo and use baby wipes for arms, back and face.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    I used to bike to work about 10 miles too, in Texas, so I understand the sweat issue. I kept a blowdryer, dry shampoo, body wipes, deodorant and makeup in my office, and I always made sure I brought an entire outfit for work, including underwear. There's nothing worse than putting on clean clothes over sweaty underwear!

With my hair, which was long, I would blow dry the sweat out, like some other posters have mentioned, and then used dry shampoo. My favorite is Batiste. Sometimes it would be okay to wear down, but most of the time I took a few minutes to braid it or put it in a bun.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    This is a really tough question. And I have taken plenty of Hoe's baths. I like the term above Hoe and Blow. :)

My hair has been growing out with minimal cuts for 2 years. It gets heavier and heavier with sweat after workouts. I do not wash everyday any more. I do alternate days of washing with shampoo and dry shampoo.

I have to take it down right after the workout and scrunch it and let it dry some and then dry shampoo will absorb some and help dry just a little faster, but you need to decide if you are gonna put it back up or let it air dry or use that small portable dryer you have. My hair takes hours to dry as it really thick.

So not much to do with it, but I can let mine down and air dry but since it is 80% gray its not so pretty. So it usually has to go back up in the claw that makes a cute up do with minimal effort.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    I bike 8miles to work in Houston. 90% humidity and 90deg weather in the mornings. Luckily my work has a shower, but it was out of commission for about a year.

During that time, I would take a hoe bath with baby wipes during the fall, winter, spring , use Dove body spray, dry shampoo my hair and mostly just left it up in a bun. During the summer, I had to bring a washcloth and use soap/water for my hoe bath. I keep 4-5 changes of clothes in a basket at work, shoes, toiletries and make up. I also keep a curling iron for the days I feel like trying something with my hair.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Yep - when I worked out on my lunch break (and had long hair) I would do the "hoe and blow". Hoe bath + dry shampoo blow- dry. It wasn't bad at all.

Hahahaha that made my day.
  • abitofbliss
    Wow. These are all awesome tips! Thank you all so much. I just ordered a small dryer and the batiste dry shampoo.. Hopefully I'll be able to start a new regimen on Monday. I usually carry everything in my bag but I like the idea of just keeping a stash at work. So glad I posted. Really helpful!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Unfortunately I don't have any tips to share, but I am following this post because I could use ideas myself; I'm so glad you posted this! I walk at lunch, and although its only a half hour walk, in the heatwaves and super high humidity we have had, I come back in looking like I had just done a good gym workout. I also have long hair but cannot always put it up anyway, as usually a ponytail triggers a migraine. I am always on the look out for tips for this, so if I come across any more I'll post! Although everyone here has had such awesome ones!

I have toyed with the idea of the dry shampoo but was never sure how well it would work. I am going to try the Aussie one that was posted earlier.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    dry shampoo is your friend. I use Lush's and it's wonderful.
  • abitofbliss
    @ScarletFyre - These answers are so helpful! I was worried there wasn't going to be a lot of hits. These girls know what they are doing! Love it!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    When I bike commuted, I had a few strategies that all sort of came together for me. I'd take a much slower pace on the way in than going home. And I picked out a route that was down hill for the last half mile or so, the breeze helped cool me off and blow a little bit of sweat away. I wore a merino wool tee shirt on the way in; when I got there I would take a "bird bath" in the sink, wipe all the sweat away, and change into a clean cotton shirt.

Not related, but I used a U-lock and just left it locked to the bike rack at work when I left instead of carrying it both ways. :smile:
  • abitofbliss
    @NorthCascades - I wish I could take it slow on my ride in. I love pushing myself so early in the morning. Luckily, I just put my bike in the warehouse. Thanks for the tips!