Eating only when hungry

Options
I know this is usually the opposite of what most people deal with but I am going through a huge lifestyle change . Eating more fruits and veggies no red meat and limiting carbs . Most of that is because of my health problems it's necessary to be strict with my diet per the doctors request. My question is I have a hard time meeting my calories. I eat when I am hungry and at the end of the day my fitbit always tells me I am under my calorie budget. Average of 1300 calories and usually get a 280/300 calorie a day burn. I feel great but I don't want to screw this up by hurting my metabolism but I also don't want to eat when I'm not hungry.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Add more calorie rich things to your diet like oil, nuts and nut butters. The calories from these add up nicely. In fact they were the main reason I gained weight so I can vouch for their effectiveness in boosting your calorie count. A large handful of nuts, which is still a relatively small volume, can easily give you those 280/300 calories back.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    You might like to try pre-planning your days, and add in some of the things suggested above that are calorie dense.
    Then whenever you are ready to eat, you have a plan and can make sure you are getting enough nutrition to keep you healthy. If you are halfway through the day and haven't eaten much you can see what's planned and make changes if you need to. Basically it comes down to awareness.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    yes a small bag of peanuts or like me 4 table spoons of peanut butter on bread is the only way I can get through summer heat and not wanting to eat.
  • lilligraz22
    lilligraz22 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You could try eating less at your main meals that way you would want to eat every 3 hours or so. Boosts metabolism and you'll get your calories in.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions :)