What do you consider "a bad day"? Am I being too easy on myself?

Options
13»

Replies

• knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I drank that many calories just in alcohol alone on Tuesday. I also had greasy au gratin potatoes and cherry pie. I logged it all, 3700+ total calories for the day, and I've moved on.

I regret nothing. Life's too short to stress about one 'bad' day in regards to food. I agree with the above poster that bad days can be way worse than going off plan for an evening...
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    lmew91 wrote: »
    1200 calories is the lowest MFP will set your daily calories. So, I'm willing to bet that you could eat more than that, and still lose weight. Without your stats or anything, 1600 cal does not sound like a "bad" day at all to me, especially if it was an "indulgent" day. Of course, without weighing the food and knowing exactly what was in it, you could have consumed way more calories than that. But still, it's one "bad day", not a bad life. If you're proud of yourself and you see a marked improvement over what you would have chosen to eat and drink in the past, it sounds like a good day to me.

^^ This :)
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'd call that a victory; very likely you're still in a deficit, or at least at maintenance. (I don't know your stats, so I can't say for sure.)

As for me, a bad day would be a day that I've gone over my maintenance calories, and a REALLY bad day is when I eat like... 6000 calories. Which happens more often than I would like. :D
    Did you eat 6,000 calories seriously ? What are some things you eat to reach 6,000 if you don't mind me asking?
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    A bad day to me is if somebody you love dies you get involved in a traffic accident or you get a letter from the IRS. As far as going over your calorie limit one day I don't consider it a big deal.

In March when on vacation for 4 days, weight 250 pounds. Drank too much ate too much had a great time. one or two days probably drink my calorie limit. Had some of the best deep fried ribs and Cajun food I've ever had . Tried to log as much of it as I could but I know I probably didn't. My current weight is approximately 220 pounds. What you have to realize is this is a lifelong journey you've embarked on it's not a Sprint. You're human you're going to have good days you're going to have bad days it's just a matter of getting back on track.

I also firmly believe that for this to work you have to enjoy the journey. If you're going to give up going out with friends or eating celery like a rabbit at a restaurant it's not going to be fun and you are going to quit.

I absolutely love this reply. So true.
  • bbordner
    bbordner Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    For me a bad day has more to do with why or how I consumed rather than how much I consumed. I've been on this for about 2.5 months now and have really been trying to focus on my habits and retraining my mind and body on why I eat and proper portion sizing. What I consider a bad day is when I realize I'm eating because I'm stressed, mindlessly eating, or eating something just because it's there.

Weekends are when I struggle with this most because I'm around readily accessible food and next thing I know I'm into the chips and salsa, or dark chocolate, or whatever. It's gotten better, but still have issues when I'm working on my online classes.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    A bad day? I have no clue what I eat over on a bad day. If the day is going to be bad, then I don't log, I eat all the foodz, I don't care. It's one day and while it may put me off track for a week, two tops, it's not the end of the world.

I'll bounce right back in the swing of things, logging properly, and right back to losing weight.

So, really, there are no bad days, just some are better than others.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you did great. A bad day for me is really not one day, but multiple days in a row going over maintenance. I try not to sweat one day, even if I go over maintenance by a lot as long as I get back on board the next day.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Away from home (vacation not work) / social situations seem to be my problem. However, since I'm paying attention & I eat better at home & pay more attention to portions when out, I'm trying to feel better about the overall net improvement rather than those failures.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Food no longer defines my good or bad days.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I tend not to define days as good or bad depending on what I eat or drink. I regard more indulgent days as good for my mental well being and if I'm feeling physically unwell, deliberately eat closer to maintenance. I don't have a great deal to lose and I'm still losing 3-4lb per month so I'm happy with that.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Recently, the only "bad" days I've had have been squat days. :'(