Fitbit or Heart rate monitor

Options
I was using a Fitbit for a good 5 months.. and liked it... other than it doesnt always calculate right (especially on ellipticals and stair steppers). Then the batteried died.. and instead of purchasing a new battery I didnt bother using anything when I worked out.

Now.. I'm considering a heart rate monitor.. the Polar to be exact.

Wondering others thoughts.. go with the heart rate monitor or just get a new battery for my Fitbit Zip??

Replies

• hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I actually have both a HRM and a Fitbit Zip. I only use my Fitbit though... Rarely do I put my HRM on anymore. I am using the TDEE calculation to for my calories and don't mess with too much of the individual exercise results. Mine are based on daily amount of calories burned. I got my Fitbit for walking/steps and overall improving my movement during the day. So to answer your question... I would do both. I would replace the battery and get a HRM. If you can swing it! Good luck.
  • catsnap213
    catsnap213 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I only have a HRM and I love it. Mine is a polar with the chest strap
  • JessicaByrd13
    Options
    I have the polar ft60 and a fitbit (the newer model you can wear as a bracelet) and I have found that the fitbit is just so much more user friendly than my hrm and I can wear it all day and it calculates my steps and my sleep (which is a really cool feature). I wear my hrm when I am actually "working out" though because I like to know when my heart rate drops so I can push myself a little further. I've read several posts from people who use both though, so I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing to have. The polar ft60 has a STAR program that you can set goals for yourself each week and it sends you trophies and tags so that's pretty fun.