Treat days

Options
Now that you are maintaining do you have treat days and how often ?or do you always eat healthy? What do your treat days consist of ?

Replies

• healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Defining what you mean by treat days might be helpful as I think the interpretation could be wildly different?
    What is the reason you would have a treat day?

I have treats daily which I work into my overall diet.
    I have what you might term treat meals where the enjoyment of the food is the number one priority, social events typically but not exclusively.

On holiday (vacation) I guess you might say that's several treat days running together?

Nothing I eat is unhealthy in that nothing eaten in isolation is going to cause me to be unhealthy.
    Maybe also define what you mean by "unhealthy"?
    I would struggle to find any item in a food store I would say is universally or inherently unhealthy without some context to overall diet, dosage or the person.

Hmmm I get your points
    By treat days I meant like goind out and having pizza and an ice cream for example and by unhealthy I meant something you usually would not eat on a diet like burgers etc
  • _sacar
    _sacar Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was doing 1 treat meal every Sunday after weigh-in when I started, but I've found that lately it's just kind of been worked in throughout the week during social events. Overall it evens out. Treat meals can give you something to look forward to! I get it.
  • healthy491
    Options
    _sacar wrote: »
    I was doing 1 treat meal every Sunday after weigh-in when I started, but I've found that lately it's just kind of been worked in throughout the week during social events. Overall it evens out. Treat meals can give you something to look forward to! I get it.

Yeah I try to leave it for Saturday and save up calories for it during the week , but like you said , social events happen soo :)
  • _sacar
    Options
    Defining what you mean by treat days might be helpful as I think the interpretation could be wildly different?

I have what you might term treat meals where the enjoyment of the food is the number one priority, social events typically but not exclusively.

On holiday (vacation) I guess you might say that's several treat days running together?

Nothing I eat is unhealthy in that nothing eaten in isolation is going to cause me to be unhealthy.
    I would struggle to find any item in a food store I would say is universally or inherently unhealthy without some context to overall diet, dosage or the person.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but this is all really splitting hairs - the idea of cheat/treat days is pretty common throughout the world of dieting. Everyone does it differently. Your outlook is best, but not everyone is there yet.
  • healthy491
    Options

I mean, I get what you're saying, but this is all really splitting hairs - the idea of cheat/treat days is pretty common throughout the world of dieting. Everyone does it differently. Your outlook is best, but not everyone is there yet.

I agree. Also , i dont know why , but I'd rather save up calories for the weekend than have a treat everyday so everyone is different I guess.
  • _sacar
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »

Yeah I try to leave it for Saturday and save up calories for it during the week , but like you said , social events happen soo :)

Before, I only did 1 meal instead of a whole day - made it easier not having to "save up" calories!

• _sacar
    Options
    So much of building a healthy lifestyle is the mentality. We do whatever we can to get by, haha.
  • healthy491
    Options

Before, I only did 1 meal instead of a whole day - made it easier not having to "save up" calories!

I have one meal as well but usually includes a starter , pizza and dessert ! Hahah
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hmmm I get your points
    By treat days I meant like goind out and having pizza and an ice cream for example and by unhealthy I meant something you usually would not eat on a diet like burgers etc

I eat all that food and I've lost 90lbs so far. I just don't eat it all the time, but "healthy eating" and losing weight are two separate things. You can "eat healthy" while losing weight, but it's not required for weight loss. Only calories are required. Have whatever you what, just plan for the calories.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I call them IDGAF days because that's pretty much how I eat on that day. I picked 4 days of the year (they work out to be every 3 months) - anniversary, Canada Day, my birthday, and Xmas. I eat what I want in amounts that I want (with all that delicious sodium!) and I log it. I gained 3# from Canada Day as a sodium+food weight combo. It came off in 5ish days. I also had my ToM gain then, too, and I got down to my pre-ToM/IDGAF gains 10 days later.

Here's my diary for Canada Day - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary?date=2016-07-01
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to work this out for themselves. I stopped using the words "treat" or "cheat" since I have been on maintenance, and, actually, while losing. It is all about moderation and calorie counting in my journey. Healthy is lifestyle and food choices, and for me, that's usually how I choose to eat. The longer I have eaten that way, the less often that "unhealthy" foods call to me. But when they do, I indulge rather than binge. And that's a huge difference. Example: I finally can eat just that small bag or less of chips, and I figure it into my calorie count. Same thing with a slice or two of veggie whole crust pizza. For me, a day where I am off target completely just doesn't work. My body now doesn't react well at all to overeating or eating things that have too much fat or sugar. It tells me right away that it doesn't like those any more. If you view this whole thing as a process and one that is ongoing for the rest of your life, through trial and error, you will find what works for you. And that journey is really very individual.
  • juanitagardner07
    juanitagardner07 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can eat all that stuff if you plan for it. Just keep watch on the calories... I eat burgers, ice cream, etc. I found a banana chocolate bomb pop... only 60 calories... to me that is a treat.. I get ice cream, chocolate, and still can stay in my calories for the day. I do go out and splurge once in awhile but that is few and far between.. In the beginning I was letting myself have a "treat" day on the weekends... Really splurging and not really watching the calories, but all that did was set me back... Sunday, I am having family over and I am already trying to figure in my calories of what will be offered... I also know there is going to be dessert.... but since I don't eat that very often I am going to allow myself a little... I know I will be over my calories but if I am careful I won't be over too much..
  • healthy491
    Options

@_sacar
    It's not splitting hairs at all - trying to understand what the OP means.

Unhealthy has a very clear meaning but it's not what the OP means in the slightest!
    As revealed in her clarification.

These are synonyms for unhealthy:
    harmful, detrimental, destructive, injurious, damaging, deleterious, ruinous, malign, noxious, poisonous, etc....
    By treat days I meant like going out and having pizza and an ice cream for example and by unhealthy I meant something you usually would not eat on a diet like burgers etc

In what way does an occasional pizza, burger or ice cream become unhealthy?
    That's actually quite worrying that ordinary foods that are simply a mix of protein/fat/carbs become labelled as "unhealthy".

Does that seem like a well rounded approach to long term and happy maintenance?
    Because it doesn't to me.

I agree but you said it yourself : ''occassionally'' so basically my question was how often do you eat pizza , burgers etc on maintenance .
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@_sacar
    It's not splitting hairs at all - trying to understand what the OP means.

Unhealthy has a very clear meaning but it's not what the OP means in the slightest!
    As revealed in her clarification.

These are synonyms for unhealthy:
    harmful, detrimental, destructive, injurious, damaging, deleterious, ruinous, malign, noxious, poisonous, etc....
    By treat days I meant like going out and having pizza and an ice cream for example and by unhealthy I meant something you usually would not eat on a diet like burgers etc

In what way does an occasional pizza, burger or ice cream become unhealthy?
    That's actually quite worrying that ordinary foods that are simply a mix of protein/fat/carbs become labelled as "unhealthy".

Does that seem like a well rounded approach to long term and happy maintenance?
    Because it doesn't to me.

I agree but you said it yourself : ''occassionally'' so basically my question was how often do you eat pizza , burgers etc on maintenance .

Never really thought about it - they are just food options to me (same as they were when I was losing weight), I don't regard them as anything special and they don't require any special planning. Just an option on a menu and it depends what I fancy at the time. Maybe burgers & pizza a couple of times a month, maybe ice cream once a week?
    I was out with friends at an Italian restaurant last night and the pizza looked good but in the end my choice was swordfish simply as I haven't had it for a while. I certainly don't regard either as unhealthy, just different options in my overall diet.
    But if you talk about frequency of snack treats (fun food eaten just for enjoyment/taste then I eat crisps (US = potato chips) nearly every day, nuts in one form or another several times a week. Remember they still have nutrition and just like whatever you regard as healthy they get ground up, churned up, mixed with stomach acid and enzymes and broken down into their component parts for digestion.