Air Fryers (keto/LCHF folks) -- suggestions?

Options
dbhDeb
dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
Anyone have a suggestion on these?

Replies

• minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have the halo....more of a halogen oven and it's great but I'd go for a bigger halogen next time so I can cook whole meat joints
  • dbhDeb
    Options
    Thanks Minnie! I'd never heard of one until I started follow Real Meal Revolution. They sound like they'd be great for low-carbers or anyone!
  • ForeverFitnessPT
    ForeverFitnessPT Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I thought one of the selling points are air fryers was the draining away of the fat. Am I missing anything?

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer, Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have an actifry that I mainly use for making my kids' chicken nuggets, fries, and stir fries. I use it 3 or 4 days a week.

It works well but the plastic lid broke fairly easily from the heat so keeping it closed is sometimes an issue.

And being LCHF, I tend to add more oil that it requires to cook well.
  • dbhDeb
    Options
    I thought one of the selling points are air fryers was the draining away of the fat. Am I missing anything?

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer, Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast

that is true. It seems faster for a lot of people to crisp up veggies which can sometimes go soggy so easy. Myself -- I would like to use it for zuchinni fries and other veggies to use in place of potatoes. In my oven they just don't get crisp.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not LCHF here but I have an Actifry. It is my favoured way to make potato wedges now. Try crisping up your onions in a little oil.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What's the difference between that and a toaster oven? Or a regular oven?
    I've used a larger sears toaster oven for over 10 years now, is this fryer better?
    For big meals, I use regular oven. French fries come out better in an air fryer than a oven?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What's the difference between that and a toaster oven? Or a regular oven?
    I've used a larger sears toaster oven for over 10 years now, is this fryer better?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_fryer
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My regular oven circulates air. And it's over 20 years old. Guess not everyone has this. Thank you so much for the link.