Stomach issues - check my diary, please?

Options
Hi everyone.

I'm thinking about going to see my doctor but I was wondering if some of you could check out my diary and see if I have any glaring problems with my food intake before I do?

I've been experiencing really bad stomach aches since I started here. I used to live on a diet of fast food, candy and chips and I felt better doing that than I do eating better. I don't want to give up but I'm having a horrible time at this.

I usually notice it happening in the evening (7, 8, 9pm) and then I have a hard time falling asleep because my stomach hurts so bad and I'm so uncomfortable. It does happen during the day, though. I'm sitting here wanting to curl up in a ball of pain as I write this.

Is it normal to experience horrible stomach aches when changing diet? Will I get used to it? Will it go away?

I don't have any food allergies and from what I've noticed, it's not really one thing that's doing it. Also, my gallbladder was removed about 5 years ago.

If you guys could provide any insight or tips, that'd be great. Is there anything I should change to see if it helps??

Replies

• becky2eyes
    becky2eyes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diet, but I will tell you my experiences and maybe some with correlate. I had gastric bypass 9 years ago, so if I eat too much, or too much sugar, then bad stabbing pains. I've noticed that suddenly piling on fresh fruits & veggies gives BAD gas pains. Also, being constipated or diarrhea from fresh foods gives bad belly pains too. Could be that because you are eliminating the sugars & (I assume) substituting whole food, that your body needs some adjustment. I also notice that it's in the evening about 2-3 hours after dinner...are you drinking enough water to help move all that fibrous material through? I actually have to take a fiber powder, even with a bunch of fresh veggies, to help me out, but sometimes that causes belly pains as well. temporary, but very painful, until I use the restroom. Congrats on eating better and feeling better (except for the pains). Good luck!
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'd go see the doctor anyway to get checked out given your surgical history, it could be any number of things and at least you won't be left guessing if your doc does a work up for you. Myself and two friends on here all have genuine illnesses all of which give the symptoms you describe but are all completely different - so just goes to show similar symptoms mean nothing
  • SwissHausfrau
    SwissHausfrau Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and get bad stomach cramps if I eat insoluble fibre.... and many people are intolerant to foods (very diff form being allergic) could it be the combination of banana and fruit juice in the morning ? are you drinking enough water with the fruit ?? try eggs and ham or smoked salmon as breakfast or porridge for a few days and see if anything changes.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of stomach pain and it's location. Gerd? Bloating? Ulcers? If it's bad enough to cause you to curl up in pain, you should see a doctor asap because that's not normal.
  • hazzaram
    hazzaram Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and get bad stomach cramps if I eat insoluble fibre.... and many people are intolerant to foods (very diff form being allergic) could it be the combination of banana and fruit juice in the morning ? are you drinking enough water with the fruit ?? try eggs and ham or smoked salmon as breakfast or porridge for a few days and see if anything changes.

It could be. I don't like eggs but maybe I'll eat a simple bowl of cereal for a few days and see how that sits with me.
    It depends on what kind of stomach pain and it's location. Gerd? Bloating? Ulcers? If it's bad enough to cause you to curl up in pain, you should see a doctor asap because that's not normal.

I'm not even sure how to explain the pain. It seems to be up higher, sort of in the middle and I feel a little nauseous and dizzy. It's a really uncomfortable feeling that I've never experienced before. It's just really hard to describe =\
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    As bad as it bothers you, you should check in with your doctor.

I'll have to refrain from what it sounds like, because there are too many possibilities to address. I'm sure a 10 minutes visit will be much more productive.

Good luck. Maybe try a BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) diet until you get in.
  • Rosefern1
    Rosefern1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know someone who has gallbladder issues and even after having it removed, can't process certain foods or large amounts of foods (e.g. lettuce). See your doctor.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest getting checked by the doctor but the only thing I would avoid is pineapple juice first thing in the morning especially on an empty stomach since it is acidic. If that is something new you may not have consumed before, it could be that. Don't know. Trial and error but would get seen if persists.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Your description makes me think of acid reflux (GERD). Have you been eating more acidic food + lots of volume/lots of water?

When I get it, the pain is in the area you describe, and it's so horrible that I just curl into a ball and moan in pain. It eases when I stay upright vs laying in a horizontal position, though.

Hope your doctor has some answers!