Can't seem to keep calories low

Options
I'm set to 1350 cals a day and by time it comes to after my lunch I've only got about 500 left to do me for rest of the day, not anywhere near enough for dinner and something before bed. I eat loads of fruit and calories in that just mount up and up...

Replies

• SwissHausfrau
    SwissHausfrau Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    do you have friends with open diaries so you can get some daily food plan ideas ?? try just eating the fruit as a snack when you are hungry.....
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose? At 1,350 calories, how much do you have it set to lose per week? If it's at 2 pounds, go with 1 pound. You'll be happier. Plus, you can exercise to earn more. Plan your days ahead of time. Just go ahead and subtract the calories that you feel you need to be satisfied with the evening, and figure out meals that will fit into the calories that are left. Produce adds bulk without tons of calories. Obviously, veggies are going to be a bit less than fruits, but things like apples and berries are pretty good for the calories.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    What are you planning for dinner/snacks? I could definitely handle a 500 cal dinner/snack. Maybe adjust your menu?
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If fruit is your biggest issue, try substituting some of your higher calorie fruits with lower calorie ones. Berries tend to be lower calorie and they are easy to portion - no cutting required! Or switch out oranges for something smaller like tangerines or mandarines. Try smaller sized fruits like plums or kiwi if you still want whole fruits in smaller portions. Skip those huge apples and oranges they sell by the pound and look for the 3 pound bags of fruit - they are generally smaller. Or cut up your fruit and make a big fruit salad that you can portion out to a calorie amount that is more reasonable.

Also try swapping at least one serving of fruit for veg like cucumbers, carrots or celery. The crunch can be very satisfying.
  • Shazr2
    Shazr2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose? At 1,350 calories, how much do you have it set to lose per week? If it's at 2 pounds, go with 1 pound. You'll be happier. Plus, you can exercise to earn more. Plan your days ahead of time. Just go ahead and subtract the calories that you feel you need to be satisfied with the evening, and figure out meals that will fit into the calories that are left. Produce adds bulk without tons of calories. Obviously, veggies are going to be a bit less than fruits, but things like apples and berries are pretty good for the calories.

I've got about 12lb to lose. I'm set at 0.5lb per week. Great idea about subtracting what I need for evening dinner/snacks.
  • Shazr2
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    If fruit is your biggest issue, try substituting some of your higher calorie fruits with lower calorie ones. Berries tend to be lower calorie and they are easy to portion - no cutting required! Or switch out oranges for something smaller like tangerines or mandarines. Try smaller sized fruits like plums or kiwi if you still want whole fruits in smaller portions. Skip those huge apples and oranges they sell by the pound and look for the 3 pound bags of fruit - they are generally smaller. Or cut up your fruit and make a big fruit salad that you can portion out to a calorie amount that is more reasonable.

Also try swapping at least one serving of fruit for veg like cucumbers, carrots or celery. The crunch can be very satisfying.

Great ideas thanks
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That's low

Try something like

250 cal breakfast
    100g egg white
    28g spinach
    40g mushroom
    25g honey roast ham
    1 slice farmhouse toast
    Black coffee

Midday snack: 1 pot 0% Greek yogurt (170g) - 100 cal

Lunch - 350 cal
    100g basmati rice
    500g vegetable stew
    10g mature shredded cheddar cheese
    Diet soda

Or mixed salad leaves
    Chicken cacciatore (2 thighs) with extra veg

That's 700 cals, decent protein so should be satiating ...leaving you 650 for dinner and evening snacks

(Or try moving more to earn more calories)

NB exchange any of the above foods for foods you love that you have adjusted calories to suit
    NNB batch cook at weekends
    NNNB (yeah I know you can't do that) I eat lots of higher calorie meals, portioned carefully, over a bag of mixed salad leaves, my favourite is watercress, spinach and arugula .. Eg slow cooked pork and chorizo and bean, chicken and new potatoes in creamy sauce ...around 300-350g wouldn't fill me on its own..but in a huge plate of salad leaves is very filling
  • Shazr2
    Options
    What are you planning for dinner/snacks? I could definitely handle a 500 cal dinner/snack. Maybe adjust your menu?

Yeah will definitely need to adjust what I'm eating
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Shazr2 wrote: »

Yeah will definitely need to adjust what I'm eating

*Light dawns*

:smiley:
  • Shazr2
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    That's low

Try something like

250 cal breakfast
    100g egg white
    28g spinach
    40g mushroom
    25g honey roast ham
    1 slice farmhouse toast
    Black coffee

Midday snack: 1 pot 0% Greek yogurt (170g) - 100 cal

Lunch - 350 cal
    100g basmati rice
    500g vegetable stew
    10g mature shredded cheddar cheese
    Diet soda

Or mixed salad leaves
    Chicken cacciatore (2 thighs) with extra veg

That's 700 cals, decent protein so should be satiating ...leaving you 650 for dinner and evening snacks

(Or try moving more to earn more calories)

NB exchange any of the above foods for foods you love that you have adjusted calories to suit
    NNB batch cook at weekends
    NNNB (yeah I know you can't do that) I eat lots of higher calorie meals, portioned carefully, over a bag of mixed salad leaves, my favourite is watercress, spinach and arugula .. Eg slow cooked pork and chorizo and bean, chicken and new potatoes in creamy sauce ...around 300-350g wouldn't fill me on its own..but in a huge plate of salad leaves is very filling

Thank you very much, loads to think about now
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Eat more veggies!
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Start an exercise program. It will give you additional calories and you'll feel great.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    bp5gal6pj8g2.jpeg

^^^ batch cooked veg stew (Mediterranean style) on Tuesday ..500g is huge amount and about 190 cals hence rice and cheese
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Exercise gives me a little more wiggle room in my calorie goals, and the endorphins actually make me less hungry. Even a light walk or yoga can make an extra 100 cals.
  • Shazr2
    Options
    I do loads of walking so get some calories back with doing that. I really need to just rethink everything I'm eating and plan it all better
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals around Dinner. The catch, I need to plan what is for dinner the next day. If I know Dinner is 800 cals, that dictates how much I can eat the rest of the day. If there is something left over ... dessert.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i eat around 1200 a day. I plan my day first thing in the morning or even a day or two before. I not only count calories but I eat a certain number of proteins carbs and fats. sometimes I skip breakfast (other than coffee) so I can have bigger snacks/meals throughout the day. I usually have breakfast/ lunch/ afternoon snack/ dinner/ evening snack. Feel free to add me for ideas etc.
  • rhiannongrindley
    rhiannongrindley Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1340 calories a day - welcome to add me and I can let you know some of the meals I've had to keep me under my target. :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    Options
    I am transitioning to maintenance and I just added 100 calories to my day so my goal is now 1430, but before I was at 1330 and I usually would spend about 350 for breakfast and 350 for lunch and that would leave me about 630 for dinner/after dinner snack. I usually get about 200-400 adjustment from my fitbit so that adds to my evening allotment of calories. I think it is just a matter of adjusting your meals so that you can eat your calories when you want. I like to save a majority of my calories for evening.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No advice because I am lucky if I have any calories left for dinner! I am at 1380 and it is such a struggle. I just need to get over the desire to not be hungry.