Eating before or after the gym in the mornings ?

Options
2»

Replies

• LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    After, by at least 2 hours, usually. I prefer to work out on an empty stomach. Having anything in my stomach when exercising makes me want to hurl, and I find my performance is better when I'm in a fasted state.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Before and after. I can't exercise on an empty stomach so I always eat before even if it's just something small. Usually I'll have a piece of fruit or nuts before. After I'll have a larger breakfast, which is usually coffee and a bunch of fruit, smoothie, or overnight oats.

Why can't you exercise on empty stomach? Do you get light headed or feel hungry ?

It makes me nauseous.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    On Saturday mornings I get up and go to the gym at the crack of dawn, then run errands afterwards. If I waited to eat, I wouldn't have as much energy, so I usually have something like a container of Greek yogurt or a protein bar. I'm going to try out a protein shake this week to see how well that holds me.
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    On Saturday mornings I get up and go to the gym at the crack of dawn, then run errands afterwards. If I waited to eat, I wouldn't have as much energy, so I usually have something like a container of Greek yogurt or a protein bar. I'm going to try out a protein shake this week to see how well that holds me.

Do you eat yogurt, etc before the work out or after?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I literally eat while I work out sometimes. Just do your thing.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Do you eat yogurt, etc before the work out or after?

Before. I'm usually up about an hour before my Bodypump class starts, though, so it has a little time to settle. I've eaten protein bars about 30 min before, though.