Motivation after sickness...

Options
I know this is the fitness board and not motivation but I only tend to read and post here - I hope this post is ok?
Last week I was ill and had to skip all my workouts. This week my energy is low but I have managed to get back to the gym a bit - just at lower intensity. Prob is when I don't exercise my motivation drops off really quick. Now I feel low and unmotivated and I am craving sugar and junk food. Someone give me a kick up the butt please, before I give in? I have lost 17lbs and have 14lb to go - I have changed my lifestyle, which I want to be permanent. Why am I so easily knocked off course?!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Get back to the gym!!!! That was me shouting at you.
    It can take a week or two to get back your energy levels so focus on going and doing any workout rather than not going at all.
    If you are having real motivation problems sign up for a class. That is what I do as I won't waste the money I paid.

Log, log everything. You may not be losing but logging it all will give you the info you need when reviewing your goals.

Cheers, h.
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You're right. I've booked into a class tomorrow - they tell you off if you don't turn up!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It can be hard, went through this myself. Still struggling a bit because m mental health is really poor at the moment. But I just force myself to do something. Usually after taking an age to get my kit on and sitting with my finger hovering over the play button for eons (I Youtube it) once I get going I'm totally fine.

When I was physically ill with flu starting back too soon was an issue. I was totally fine after another week and actually felt awesome after that first workout!

So yeah, it's just about scheduling it in and doing it, regardless of whether you want to.
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I made myself go to Body Pump this morning. It was a bit hard-going so I lowered my weights on a couple of tracks. Hopefully next week I'll be back to normal!
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Getting back to routine after being ill is tough... you're energy level is lower than normal. When it happens to me I have a "deal" with myself--just get to the gym and work out 20 minutes. That's all...if I feel crappy I can leave with a clear conscience after those 20 minutes. I have left after those 20 minutes just once but I figure I needed the rest anyhow. That's my strategy and it works for me.