TDEE seems too high... How many calories should I REALLY be eating???

2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    @amusedmonkey are you looking for Kj and kg or just kg but still using Kcal?

I'll have a quick look tomorrow but I think that if you just replace every instance of 3500 with 7700 you can then use kg and it will do the trick

Remember that this estimate ignores body composition changes. This has more of an effect when the scale moves down.

For example

If I use up 2lbs of fat and 1lb lean mass in a 3lb drop this represents a deficit of about 7800 Cal not 10500.

If I gain 3lbs and 2.5lbs is fat and 0.5lbs is lean this represents a surplus of between 10 and 11000 Cal, so 10500 is a closer approximation

Also the sheet "assumes" your logging is perfect and your activity tracker wrong and expresses the results as a TDEE estimation error.

It could just as easily assume your tracking is off and express the results as a % of your tracking.

The truth is probably in between the two :smiley:

Yes, I'm looking for kg (not kj). It's not big deal, really. Instead of digging around for all the 3500 instances I'm going to just make the weight fields automatic, where I enter my actual and trend weights elsewhere but automatically calculate them into the right columns in pounds.

My logging is as accurate as humanly possible for me. I do estimate when it's not possible but I do try to be exact given the opportunity.

Edit: just noticed only two columns contain the calories, so editing to 7700 would be easier. No hunting around involved. Thank you.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member

I'll have a quick look tomorrow but I think that if you just replace every instance of 3500 with 7700 you can then use kg and it will do the trick

Remember that this estimate ignores body composition changes. This has more of an effect when the scale moves down.

For example

If I use up 2lbs of fat and 1lb lean mass in a 3lb drop this represents a deficit of about 7800 Cal not 10500.

If I gain 3lbs and 2.5lbs is fat and 0.5lbs is lean this represents a surplus of between 10 and 11000 Cal, so 10500 is a closer approximation

Also the sheet "assumes" your logging is perfect and your activity tracker wrong and expresses the results as a TDEE estimation error.

It could just as easily assume your tracking is off and express the results as a % of your tracking.

Yes, I'm looking for kg (not kj). It's not big deal, really. Instead of digging around for all the 3500 instances I'm going to just make the weight fields automatic, where I enter my actual and trend weights elsewhere but automatically calculate them into the right columns in pounds.

My logging is as accurate as humanly possible for me. I do estimate when it's not possible but I do try to be exact given the opportunity.

Edit: just noticed only two columns contain the calories, so editing to 7700 would be easier. No hunting around involved. Thank you.

It has been updated to accommodate :smile:
    Just re download.
    Same link.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VDmqNpLPu7sbQSochUJNXdp2F7AN15AGgkvS3zLw1GU/edit?usp=sharing
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    At 2.5 lbs a week you are eating at a deficit of about 1250. So 1200-1300 plus 1250 would be 2450-2550 TDEE. A little lower than Fitbit estimates.

So yeah, 1660-1700 sounds pretty good.

Yeah, this...

All these little gadgets and calculators and stuff are fun, but ultimately they're just spitting out an estimate...they may be more or less accurate from person to person...but in the end it comes down to the math and that's what you can actually trust.

I would think 3000 would be high based on your stats and activity...I'm a 5'10" male and I ride 80-100 miles per week and lift 3x per week and am generally active outside of my desk job and I'm right around 3,000+ calories per day.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

For example

It has been updated to accommodate :smile:
    Just re download.
    Same link.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VDmqNpLPu7sbQSochUJNXdp2F7AN15AGgkvS3zLw1GU/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you! I appreciate it. Thank you for the great effort you've put into this spreadsheet.
  • fitandfunchar
    fitandfunchar Posts: 12 Member
    A 25% cut from 2822 puts you at 2116. If you were to select that as your MFP target and assuming you've already included all your likely exercise in your 2822 calculation you would eat your 2116 and you would NOT add any additional exercise into your logging.

Then you would re-evaluate in a month. if you have been losing at a rate of between 1lb and 1.5lbs a week I would leave things alone. If you've been losing at a faster rate I would eat a bit more. Slower rate a bit less. Don't forget to re-calculate your TDEE as you lose weight... every 5lbs or so.

Also don't forget to use a trending weight program. They are very useful especially when dealing with water retention associated with your TOM :smiley:

weightgrapher.com by itself or, at the same time as using trendweight.com and in conjunction with a free even without a device fitbit.com account.

happy scale for iphone.

Cheers.

I am currently using Happy Scale! I started on the 4th of July, so I'll give it until the 1st of August before I make anymore cuts...hopefully
  • letsdothisbb
    letsdothisbb Posts: 1 Member
    Bump