Broke my toe in two places, when can I work out again?

Options
leahambrose12
leahambrose12 Posts: 8 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
lc6o3abw1ge6.jpg
So I was going to use the leg press and I dropped a 45 lb weight plate on my toe. I have a doc note that says I can go back to normal activity in 3 days, but I'm not sure if that includes exercise. I run 3x a week and do the elliptical 6 times a week. Strength training 3x a week as well.. Just thinking of doing a mountain climber makes my bones ache now. So the question is when can I begin to go hard again!!! wwfoqt37ci0t.jpg

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You should ask your doctor.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    When you're ready...you'll know when you're ready...everyone is going to heal at different rates and have different thresholds for pain so there's really not an answer here.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor.
  • joannajohnson295
    joannajohnson295 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I work in orthopaedics and i would suggest swimming for a week or two, and hard impact will cause discomfort and possibly lessen the fracture healing. Then i would prob leave the running infavour of elliptical for another week but i would check with your doc who has assessed you properly and seen a close up of the xray
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Clearly this is a question for your doctor. Call your doctor for clarification.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing 25 years ago--only in my case it was only a 25lb weight, but I still broke the bone. It was 6 weeks before I could run again.
  • HiCarol1
    HiCarol1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I broke my toe last year I was advised by my dr to not jog or stay on my feet too long for at least 8 weeks because of the possibility of breaking again or fracturing. I waited till 9th week to start jogging again but I still felt slight pain. I think 3 months later was when I was completely back to normal
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Your doc will clear you. Time basis is just an estimate. If one is still in pain after that estimate, then clearly healing hasn't been completed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Just a note: I hope you didn't drop it unloading off 45's that someone else left on there. There are lots of dudes that pile on weight on the leg press and leave it expecting that the next person wanting to use it is capable of unloading it themselves.
    I'm a weight room nazi. I will ALWAYS tell people (male and female) to unload machines and bars if I see they've left them on there. It's not bad where I work now, but basically every time I started somewhere new, I've done this. It's just polite etiquette and also can help to avoid something like that happening to someone having to pull off a weight they can't handle to use a machine or bench/rack they want to use.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png