What can you tell me about crossfit?

Options
2»

Replies

• melodyr2
    melodyr2 Posts: 2
    Options
    I recently moved across the country and decided to try crossfit. Prior to crossfit I used to work out at a regular gym but I would hit a plateau and get bored. I tried a boxing gym before I moved and long story short - I sued the trainer for sexual harrassment. I enjoy the fact that I was able to make new friends at the box as well as do different workouts. Also the environment is very encouraging and fun. Every time I'm there I get a "good job" or "you're improving" or "keep it up" comment. It works out to be about $11 per class for me which is reasonable for me. My crossfit has open gym times where you can go and work on your form or do some solo training when there is no class in session. As for paleo, they mention it but it is up to you... I think someone mentioned that they were upset by a comment from a trainer that said something to the effect of "I can't believe they ate carbs before a workout." My trainer actually encourages carbs AFTER a hard workout (Paleo is not Atkins, lets not get this confused... so go have that baked potato with butter {grassfed cow butter though} -yup thats paleo). For me, it is worth it because of the social aspect that comes with it and being able to compete against myself and reach goals I never thought I could. The box also does outings like a WOD (workout of the day) on the beach or a group mud run sign up. It's not forced but optional. I also work for Disney so they offer cast member discounts. As with having a friend that you always work out with at a regular gym, I have made friends with crossfit members who help me stay on my toes and not "skip" a class. I would say weigh out your needs and see if it is worth it for you. Some people prefer working out alone, hating doing/avoided cardio (I was once this person), or only comfortable with certain types of weighted exercises... To each their own.
  • Shellster831
    Shellster831 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Coach D I also talk from experience and since you said CrossFitters you just included me, and I beg to differ that I treat anyone any different then anyone who runs for fitness, or rides a bike, or zumba. If you have friends that do, reconsider your friendships, muscles heads are in every arena. There are those that do CrossFit that are like that, there are those that workout in a Globo gym, that grunt while they lift that chuckle at those reading a book on a treadmill. Anything that works for one person, they are going to be confident in their ways. Don't be hater because a you ran into a handful of egotistical people, although if you say you hang around with like minded people, then maybe you might questions your own words. You say CrossFitters hate on non CrossFit people, but you are a globo gym kind of person who hates on CrossFitters. So how different are you?
  • bowhuntr09
    bowhuntr09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Don't knock Crossfit until you have tried it. Almost all affiliates offer a free workout. Go try it and then offer an opinion.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Coach D I also talk from experience and since you said CrossFitters you just included me, and I beg to differ that I treat anyone any different then anyone who runs for fitness, or rides a bike, or zumba. If you have friends that do, reconsider your friendships, muscles heads are in every arena. There are those that do CrossFit that are like that, there are those that workout in a Globo gym, that grunt while they lift that chuckle at those reading a book on a treadmill. Anything that works for one person, they are going to be confident in their ways. Don't be hater because a you ran into a handful of egotistical people, although if you say you hang around with like minded people, then maybe you might questions your own words. You say CrossFitters hate on non CrossFit people, but you are a globo gym kind of person who hates on CrossFitters. So how different are you?

Again, you continue to prove my point. I do not hate Crossfit or the people that do Crossfit.

Make fun of how a bodybuilder trains, they laugh and walk away.
    Make fun of how a powerlifter trains, they do the same.
    Make fun of how a Crossfitter trains, they list 5 reasons why doing pistol squats are more functional than back squats.
  • LadyEm06
    LadyEm06 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm brand new to Crossfit (1.5 weeks in), and MFP too for that matter. A new Crossfit box opened around the corner for me 2 weeks ago... ALL WOMEN. It's amazing. There is a palpable awareness that we are all there for different reasons with different fitness backgrounds and goals.

Weight loss and fitness CAN be achieved in a regular gym, for sure. I lost 40 lbs doing it that way 2 years ago. I knew my bootcamp instructor at the gym and felt like I had some sort of accountability to her. But, she frankly didn't care if I wasn't there or not. I miss Crossfit, and I immediately get a (get this) 30 burpee penalty. Or, if I can't do the full 30, I do 5 mins at my own pace. No drill sergeant stuff; just sheer accountability.

Crossfit is expensive, but so is the cost of healthcare, medical copays, and diabetes meds later in life. I'd rather pay it forward. I'm also paying for far more than those kettlebells I lift or rowing machine I use. I am getting unwavering support, camaraderie, and most importantly accountability. If your local Planet Fitness or even Equinox/high end gym offers all of that for less, well you're one in a million, and enjoy it.