Acupuncture for Weight Loss

Options
Anyone ever used acupuncture to help with controlling their appetite??? I feel like no matter how hard I try to stay in my calories I'm ALWAYS hungry.

Replies

• alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm skeptical. There are no peer reviewed studies, and, from a common sense perspective, the chance that sticking needles in your skin would make you less hungry seems small.

Maybe find a less expensive way to harness the placebo effect, maybe meditation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Lol, maybe if you got stuck on your tongue. Other than that, I doubt it. Lots of holistic approaches are usually over exaggerated.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I saw a provider stick a few needles in my wife's noggin and completely eliminate her feelings of pain. That lasted as long as the needles were in her head and the session was over in 30 minutes. It was a waste of money. Your experience may differ. I can imagine that it would motivate you to get into a calorie deficit and start losing weight just so they'd stop sticking needles in you.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    I did acupuncture for several things, weight loss was one of them. I don't think it did anything for that part. I also did hypnosis for several things and I think that's more helpful. You can learn to do it yourself and use it when you need it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    No. I get acupuncture sometimes when I have little nagging problems that won't go away, just to see if it works. I would never try it for weight loss/appetite though.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    The only studies which show that acupuncture has any effect is for lower back pain. No evidence of anything else. Sorry.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    If you're always hungry, maybe your calorie intake is set too low or you need to adjust your macronutrient ratios.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    No
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about weight loss and I'm skeptical about that, but acupuncture got rid of my chronic tension headaches after about 3 weeks of treatments. I've been headache-free for a year. I went to a place that offered "community" acupuncture and worked on a sliding scale - you decided what you want to pay - so that made it affordable.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, maybe if you got stuck on your tongue. Other than that, I doubt it. Lots of holistic approaches are usually over exaggerated.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Urhh. .....just had that vision of the tongue patch......
  • JosetteGetsFit
    JosetteGetsFit Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I tried it years ago after having a baby. It was a waste of money and time. The only thing it did do was cause my ear to hurt making me wonder why I would do such a thing. lol To each their own but it's not for me.