Slim fast?

Options
Do these shakes and food actually work? Im interested in buying some of the shakes or bars but don't want to waste money if they don't help!

Replies

• ejb499
    ejb499 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sure they work if you use them in place of a meal. Of course you could also just have a small meal. All about portions!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Well, they "work" in the sense that they are low calorie options for meals, but there is nothing magical about bars or shakes, in and of themselves, that cause weight loss. Only a calorie deficit does that.
    I tried Slim Fast when I was younger. I think I maybe on them for a week or two before the hangriness took over. I lost weight, sure, but drinking the shakes was not a long term sustainable plan for me, and as soon as I went back to eating normally I gained the weight back. Drinking shakes doesn't really teach you about maintaining weight loss...only how to lose it. When I learned how to lose weight eating actual food, I had much better success with both loss and maintenance.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If they keep you in a calorie deficit they work. But many people don't find them satisfying enough and opt for portion control/nutrition over this.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    When I first started I used the Slim Fast Protein (I think it had 15gms of protein) as a snack. They were yummy and satisfying but I didn't follow the whole slim fast diet... Is that a thing?

Now, I drink 'Oh Yeah!' protein shakes that offer twice as much protein.
  • domgibson88
    domgibson88 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I bought slimfast shakes and it did not work for me, I was going to use it as a meal option but it didn't keep me satiated but I loved drinking them and ended up drinking them aa a beverage or snack... I gained weight...they are yummy but I stopped buying them completely... If you can use it as a meal replacement and it works go for it!!!doesn't hurt to try.
  • cleannurse
    cleannurse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Slim fast is horrible for you. I would personally use orgain organic protein powder instead. This system will work if you are replacing a meal but you might still be hungry. Keep track of your intake with my fitness pal still to make sure!
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If you take in little enough, it will work. It won't taste good. It won't keep you full. It won't be as good as eating a healthy diet. But keep the calories low enough and anything will work.
  • PamelaElizabethStrickland
    PamelaElizabethStrickland Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    For about two weeks now I've been drinking the shakes for lunch and having 100 cal snacks and then a 500 cal dinner. Im not following the Slim fast plan exactly but so far I've lost about 5 pounds.
    Plus a mile or two of walking a few times a week.
    So it's working great for me!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Slimfast shakes (or any other shakes) are absolutely no different calorie-wise to what you will be doing here. Slimfast take the 'thinking' out of it, I suppose. You could have a day full of solid foods and still be eating 1500 calories (for example) or a day full of the slimfast shakes and still be consuming 1500. It is just 'Easier' for people to drink the shakes - the work is done for them. It absolutely does not matter what your calories consist of as long as you are in a deficit, so yes - you'll lose weight on slimfast if you are in a deficit. And yes, you'll lose weight 'eating' if you are in a deficit.

I'm not an expert so all of this was probably explained horribly - but I'm hoping it made some sort of sense. Personally, I would not go on the 'slimfast diet'. It seems hugely restrictive and limited. I mean, shake every breakfast and lunch? I'd miss granola and oatmeal and sandwiches too much.
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My advice, stay well clear of all diet shakes, pills etc. Just log, weigh and eat proper health food. That's all it takes