Going from getting no where to melting fat off.

13»

Replies

• kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Couldn't agree with you more!!!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I do use MFP's guestimate and also eat my exercise calories back. Lost a pound a week until I was almost to goal and then slowed down but am still losing (and am past my goal).

You DO need to measure and log everything.

Yep, people don't think that those little condiments and a small piece of hard candy here and there add up, but they most certainly do.

If I've eaten out, especially, and start adding in mayo and a bit of butter and a little half and half in my coffee and a little bit of salad dressing and a dot of cheese and croutons . . . Suddenly I've got 300 calories added into my day.

The devil is always in the details.
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    I do use MFP's guestimate and also eat my exercise calories back. Lost a pound a week until I was almost to goal and then slowed down but am still losing (and am past my goal).

You DO need to measure and log everything.

Yep, people don't think that those little condiments and a small piece of hard candy here and there add up, but they most certainly do.

If I've eaten out, especially, and start adding in mayo and a bit of butter and a little half and half in my coffee and a little bit of salad dressing and a dot of cheese and croutons . . . Suddenly I've got 300 calories added into my day.

The devil is always in the details.

Well stated!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Great post! And glad it is working so well for you. It's pretty much what I've found to work for me, too.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    congrats on your progress! thanks for the insight.
  • sourmash1973
    Great post! And glad it is working so well for you. It's pretty much what I've found to work for me, too.

Thank you! And yeah, people just need to realize it isn't rocket science and it's just all about changing your lifestyle and listening to your body.
  • sourmash1973
    congrats on your progress! thanks for the insight.

Thank you and you're welcome.
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    just got my scale and hrm yesterday and that was my problem as well!!! hopefully more changes will come now!!!
  • sourmash1973
    just got my scale and hrm yesterday and that was my problem as well!!! hopefully more changes will come now!!!

Now that you are making sure you have it right, changes will definitely come. WOOHOO for getting a scale. :wink:
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Do you happen to recall a good post suggesting how to calculate TDEE?

I'm targeting 1,900 calories a day as that seems to be a good general rule but I'm curious if I should be doing it differently.
  • sourmash1973
    I use this and it seems to work well for me. I have a desk job but I'm very active outside of work, so I set the exercise at "Little/No Exercise". Seems to be my magic number.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • Rilzy
    Rilzy Posts: 59 Member
    glad it worked and congrats!!

personally, everyone I know OVER estimates their food calories and UNDER estimate their cardio/calories burnt through exercise.

Yes, I do this to such a large extent.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Nice congrats, just remember you need to recalculate your numbers every 10-15 lbs or so.

I think this is why I have been in a holding pattern for the last 11 weeks. I have seen very little change in the scale. I did go in and changed my settings two weeks ago, and bought a scale. Going to see if the weight starts dropping off again over the next three weeks. If I don't get below 200 (currently 204). I think I am going to see a trainer for some advice. I am now also logging ALL exercise even strength training (something I was not doing previously). I want to have an accurate pattern in my routine "Just in case" I need to see the trainer.
  • sourmash1973
    Nice congrats, just remember you need to recalculate your numbers every 10-15 lbs or so.

I think this is why I have been in a holding pattern for the last 11 weeks. I have seen very little change in the scale. I did go in and changed my settings two weeks ago, and bought a scale. Going to see if the weight starts dropping off again over the next three weeks. If I don't get below 200 (currently 204). I think I am going to see a trainer for some advice. I am now also logging ALL exercise even strength training (something I was not doing previously). I want to have an accurate pattern in my routine "Just in case" I need to see the trainer.

Yep, it's a good rule of thumb to log everything.