Uhoh. Fitness trackers.

Options
On the evening news tonight, there was a story on fitness trackers. Fitbit, Garmin, and jawbone were tested and found to over estimate calories burned by 2x, 3x, and 4x. Sorry, I don't remember the models tested.

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I saw that show. I couldn't believe how inaccurate the calories burned were. I've waited to get a tracker and now I know why.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Most come with a disclaimer stating they are meant to be used as a tool to get a "rough" estimate. Most of us "old timers" have doing it the "old fashioned" way years before the advent of these fancy fitness trackers anyways.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My fitbit definitely over estimates, which is why i have never eaten all the calories it gives me back. It's a great motivational tool and does give a rough estimate, but it is far from spot on.
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the trackers also take into account the calories you would be doing in that time frame if you weren't "exercising" so it's probably not a very accurate test either. (I could easily be wrong though) but when it comes to any kind of calorie estimation I take everything with a grain of salt because they will never be right on the money. Just another tool to use.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    They're averages. That's all.

Like someone else up thread said, you can track your food on MFP and your calorie burn via any fitness tracker. Then compare the results. Not a big deal.

I found my Apple Watch severely UNDERestimated my burn. Again, I'm not upset about it, they are rough estimates based on averages.

Meh.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    They're just fun fitness toys. They don't claim to be accurate and I doubt anyone relies on them for anything other than fun. People have been playing with fitness toys for as long as I've been alive. Haven't seen it hurt anyone yet. Some people feel that they're helpful. They're not accurate, so what.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    My apple watch seems to give me pretty high calories for activity, but I'm usually eating around those numbers (sometimes under, sometimes over, sometimes poor logging days or lots of estimates so I'm really sure) and I'm averaging 0.45 kg/week lost when my MFP settings are at 0.25 kg/week. So, losing more than I'd planned/estimated.

For me, tracking my steps is useful to get me moving more - it's easy to see when I've been really busy with desk jobs at work and not moving much, and seeing a very low amount of activity in the day motivates me to fit a bit more in before or after work, or even to get out for a 20 min walk at lunchtime.

I don't treat any of the numbers we are working with as accurate - food calories are all estimates, exercise/activity calories are estimates, MFP's calculation of BMR and other numbers are estimates.
    I think the best thing to do if you like these kinds of gadgets is to use one, eat according to the numbers calculated and then adjust over time if things are going faster or slower than they should.

Oh, and I can add that when I first started MFP over 5 years ago, I used MFP exercise numbers and had very similar results. For me, with or without a tracker if I moderate what I eat and move a bit more - and do those things consistently over a period of time - then I will lose weight.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I find mine actually underestimates total daily burn. When I'm actively trying to lose, I rarely get to 2400 calories burned as per FitBit, yet lose 2lb/week eating 1600 cals.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    They're just fun fitness toys. They don't claim to be accurate and I doubt anyone relies on them for anything other than fun. People have been playing with fitness toys for as long as I've been alive. Haven't seen it hurt anyone yet. Some people feel that they're helpful. They they're not accurate, so what.

I think taking money from people by saying your product will do something, when in fact it can't do it, is harm.

There may be small print saying it's an estimate, but all the marketing for these devices talks about how they will calculate your calorie burn, and these forums are full of people talking about how tracking exercise manually via mfp is so terribly inaccurate and you should use one of these instead. In fact, it seems their results are every bit as much of a generic rough guess as mfp's exercise numbers, which makes them not fit for purpose, imo.

In fact they don't record enough data to get close to a "calculation" of calorie burn, so it's not a question of inaccuracy, it's a question of claiming they can do something when they are totally unequipped to do it. All very well to say it's just a toy and people shouldn't take it seriously, but that's not the way it's marketed, and a lot of people DO take them seriously.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My Fitbits have been close enough to be useful, and they are very motivating to me. I would be lost without my FB! (And hubby feels the same way.)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    They're just fun fitness toys. They don't claim to be accurate and I doubt anyone relies on them for anything other than fun. People have been playing with fitness toys for as long as I've been alive. Haven't seen it hurt anyone yet. Some people feel that they're helpful. They they're not accurate, so what.

I think taking money from people by saying your product will do something, when in fact it can't do it, is harm.

There may be small print saying it's an estimate, but all the marketing for these devices talks about how they will calculate your calorie burn, and these forums are full of people talking about how tracking exercise manually via mfp is so terribly inaccurate and you should use one of these instead. In fact, it seems their results are every bit as much of a generic rough guess as mfp's exercise numbers, which makes them not fit for purpose, imo.

In fact they don't record enough data to get close to a "calculation" of calorie burn, so it's not a question of inaccuracy, it's a question of claiming they can do something when they are totally unequipped to do it. All very well to say it's just a toy and people shouldn't take it seriously, but that's not the way it's marketed, and a lot of people DO take them seriously.

I think too many people don't realize that we ALL have different calorie burns. No tool or website can be accurate for all the people all the time, because 1. we're all different and 2. we all move differently, which burns calories differently. The products give an estimate - it's up to the user to use the estimate wisely and figure out for themselves how the suggested burn actually matches up to reality. I could go on a rant about absolutes, but I'll save it for another time.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm nailed the problem - it is up to the user to use the estimate correctly. How many times have we seen the 'I am not losing weight even though my Fitbit is synced with MFP and says I am burning some ridiculous amount of calories'?
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Mine seems to be fairly accurate. I'm losing about a pound a week, which is what I set as my goal, so I'm happy.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit zip underestimates mine by about 200 calories...I have to pretend to be 30 years younger :bigsmile:
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I bought my Fitbit zip over two years ago and have lost 138lbs with it. It overestimates my TDEE by about 250 calories per day for me. I figure it does that because I do a lot of jogging in place which is kind of cheating on the steps and the stride won't be accurate. It still tracks my activity and gives me data and I absolutely consider it an invaluable weight loss tool along with my food scale.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Garmin's BMR estimates are way over estimated. So the calories you burn each day are based on their BMR numbers plus activities/exercise/steps calories they give you. Now the forumulas they use with heart rate, blah, blah are definetly higher than normal.

I have had to turn off the adjustment to get just activities not use their calories in/out for the day.

So yes the news about Garmin is correct. There is some know issues with "activities" (exercise and steps calories) in general are known.

Most everyone is comment on Fitbit I see, so all devices are estimates. I have had fibit and garmin and never took anything I received as data output as 1000% accuracy. It is a device, and tool used to guage not be an exact science.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Garmin's BMR estimates are way over estimated. So the calories you burn each day are based on their BMR numbers plus activities/exercise/steps calories they give you. Now the forumulas they use with heart rate, blah, blah are definetly higher than normal.

I have had to turn off the adjustment to get just activities not use their calories in/out for the day.

So yes the news about Garmin is correct. There is some know issues with "activities" (exercise and steps calories) in general are known.

When did you turn it off?

It seems they may have changed their ways of estimating. I am now getting some crazy adjustments. I LOSE calories from MFP's already low estimate if I walk less than 10,000 steps. I have MFP set to sedentary.
    I earned 2000 calories in exercise and often only get a credit of 500 exercise calories now.