BMI query.

Options
Using the same scales at my gym once a week same time before breakfast etc..

My weight on 11/5/13 was 266 and today, 60 days later, I'm 240. My BMI was 37 and now it's 34%. I may be wrong but I thought for quite a bit of weight loss 3% was a bit low? Don't get me wrong I'm not looking for quick fixes I just wondered if that sounds right that's all?

Appreciate your replies.

Replies

• Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    It's all about height versus weight percentages. It's quite possible it's accurate, but without knowing your height and age, it's not possible to check

*edited: sorry, don't need to know age on this one...just height and weight.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    It's ok lol I'm 29 years old, height is 5ft 10 and 240 lbs.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    BMI isn't a percent. May be a little mixed up with body fat.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Do you mean BMI or body fat%? I've asked because you said 34%.

BMI is *just* a function of height and weight. "Normal" BMI range is considered to be 18.5-25 although this may vary for extremely athletic individuals.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Every week when I print out my weight details it says BMI 34 (Or whatever the reading is) sorry I thought that was the percentage.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think you're confusing it with body fat percentage as well. The only way to determine body fat (with some accuracy) is to be measured by calipers. I would also suggest you start taking body measurements as inches lost is a great way to measure progress.

The BMI formula is

BMI = Weight (kg) / (Height (m) x Height (m))
    or
    BMI = Weight (lb) / (Height (in) x Height (in)) x 703

So as stated above, it is simply a factor of height versus weight. It's actually not a great measurement of success, especially for men as you naturally have a larger amount of muscle mass, especially when you're active.

That said, going from a 37 BMI to 34 BMI is actually pretty good! You went from the higher end of the obese range to the lower end. And just think, once you go down 5 more points, you will be in the overweight range! Congrats on your progress!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Take anything you get form a digital scale with a grain of salt. Hydro impadence machines can be highly inaccurate due to water fluctuations. In fact, just don't bother with BMI. Even with 6% body fat and abs, I will be over weight according to BMI.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Thanks Minnie :)
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Take anything you get form a digital scale with a grain of salt. Hydro impadence machines can be highly inaccurate due to water fluctuations. In fact, just don't bother with BMI. Even with 6% body fat and abs, I will be over weight according to BMI.

Granted but its nice to know what your BMI is from time to time.