Is walking great exercise or just okay?

Options
I've often seen people here say that walking is wonderful exercise. Words such as "great" or "excellent" are often bandied about. I've tended to differ. I've pointed out that walking is good exercise -- totally worth doing -- but that its benefits are comparatively low. That is, I would strongly encourage people to walk more, but to call it "excellent exercise" is an overstatement.

I know that this has offended some people. They think I'm saying that walking is useless or that it doesn't really count. That's not it at all, of course, but that's how some people react.

This WebMD article shows what I mean. Walking is good, but it's not as effective as many think. When health professionals recommend it, it's often because they know it's the most that then can get many people to do.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/is-walking-enough?page=1

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    "I've pointed out that walking is good exercise -- totally worth doing -- but that its benefits are comparatively low."

Aren't you contradicting yourself here, or, at least, answering your own question? If, as you point out, "walking is good exercise -- totally worth doing..." why/how do you contend that " its benefits are comparatively low."?

If " its benefits are comparatively low" is it really a "good exercise -- totally worth doing"?

My answer to your question: Walking is as good an exercise as any other. You get out of it what you have put into it, both time and effort.

It works great for me. Of course, I also lift, run, and sprint. It's another tool in the toolbox (one that I find excellent to loosen my back out after heavy legs days), and for those who are currently sedentary, it's a hell of lot better than 16 ounce curls.

I've always enjoyed a few 16 ounce curl reps. ;-)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. I enjoy a nice walk, but it's as much for the "me time" and change of scenery (and just being outdoors!) as anything else. The moderate calorie burn is a bonus. But a lot of people say "exercise is for fitness" and walking isn't taxing enough to contribute to my fitness. (Exercise is for a lot of things beyond fitness, though, like enjoyment.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Depends on what you are seeking, like others said. I have goals that require other sorts of exercise, but I consider walking as much as possible (vs. sitting around or driving) to be important, and an easy way to boost the overall non exercise calories of a day without either increasing hunger or wear and tear on the body. I also am happier when I walk more and drive less, and it can be pleasant to get off a stop or two early when commuting and walk some.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "I've pointed out that walking is good exercise -- totally worth doing -- but that its benefits are comparatively low."

Aren't you contradicting yourself here, or, at least, answering your own question? If, as you point out, "walking is good exercise -- totally worth doing..." why/how do you contend that " its benefits are comparatively low."?

If " its benefits are comparatively low" is it really a "good exercise -- totally worth doing"?

My answer to your question: Walking is as good an exercise as any other. You get out of it what you have put into it, both time and effort.

It works great for me. Of course, I also lift, run, and sprint. It's another tool in the toolbox (one that I find excellent to loosen my back out after heavy legs days), and for those who are currently sedentary, it's a hell of lot better than 16 ounce curls.

I've always enjoyed a few 16 ounce curl reps. ;-)

I run and walk because I do 16 ounce curls. I'm not knock'n 'em.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

There is no contradiction. There are substantial benefits, which makes it worth doing. Compared to other forms of exercise though, it's relatively inefficient. It's the difference between "good" and "great."

Now, others have said that walking is good for people who are morbidly obese, etc, etc. I won't deny that. Those people may indeed be unable to do anything more. For most people though, it's okay, but as the article says, it's ultimately "exercise lite."

I'm not going to deny that it's a good way to get started. I completely agree. As I said though -- and this it the point that people keep missing -- heaping on superlatives such as "great," "excellent," and "wonderful" is a bit of an overstatement. Worthwhile? Yes -- but not superlatively so.
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It's a very useful tool. Not only for fat loss but for muscle retention. As it's been pointed out earlier it depends where you are on your fitness journey. Starting from the absolute beginning walking is great, as you stack up the weeks you want to incorporate more tax exercises into your regime. I've been lifting for a ridiculous amount of years noe but I still make it a point to clock up a decent amount of miles from walking per week. Keeps me cut too.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Really it depends on where and how you walk. I regularly hike (and hiking is walking) over rugged terrain. My "home" trail has an elevation gain of 1200 feet. At a minimum my hikes are 5 miles. I carry a backpack with food, water, and emergency supplies that averages 10-15 lbs.

Several times a year I'll hike 10-15 miles over terrain with elevation gains of 2500 + feet.

In April when I walked the Grand Canyon's Bright Angel Trail to Plateau Point and back (12 miles) with 20 lbs of supplies in a backpack, I felt certain that was good exercise.
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I started off at 11 stone (5'1" female) with 3-4 30 minute workouts a week, plus a hour minimum of walking a day. For me, the weight has fallen off pretty quickly (I'm roughly 11 weeks in with a 1250 daily calorie goal - and I eat most of my exercise calories burnt). I would say walking is great for ensuring you get your daily activity in, however you may need to add more exercises in to see results. Everyone is different though! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you're coming from and what benefits you're looking for. From a fitness standpoint and improving upon your fitness, it has a pretty low ceiling...for general health it has been demonstrated to be a great activity.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i love walking, i think its great exercise
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Well its better than doing nothing at all. And if you are elderly, or have health related issues or aliments that prevent you from doing full force running, bilking, hiking, ellipticals, treadmills, swimming, etc.. this is certainly good exercise. This would be excellent for those that fall in this category.

If you are sedentary person that does nothing but sit on the couch and start walking, this is excellent exercise.

So it is perspective based and does a person need to increase heart rate to reap 100% full benefits from cardio exercise?, yes, can you still reap benefits from half that heart rate from steady state hard cardio,? yes.

So you can loiter walk, brisk walk, fast walk, speed walk, etc.. depends on what effort, how long and what not. I still believe that walking is excellent exercise. And I run 4 days and walk 2 days a week. It kills me to have to walk 2 days to not run everyday and what I call give my legs a rest, I still burn calories, I am still active that day, and it all counts!

When I see people walking down the street while I am running, I smile and say good for them! Because it is clear that they are walking because they can;t do much more. I like see people get out and try even if it is a morning walk or evening walk.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Depends on where you're coming from and what benefits you're looking for. From a fitness standpoint and improving upon your fitness, it has a pretty low ceiling...for general health it has been demonstrated to be a great activity.
    I'll mostly agree with that, except that I'd call it a "pretty good activity" rather than "great" -- again, precisely because of the low ceiling that you mentioned. (Also, it depends on what one means by "general health." Walking doesn't do much for strength, for example, and it only helps with endurance if one is sedentary or if done over very long periods and/or harsh terrain. It still has substantial benefits, though.)
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Really it depends on where and how you walk. I regularly hike (and hiking is walking) over rugged terrain. My "home" trail has an elevation gain of 1200 feet. At a minimum my hikes are 5 miles. I carry a backpack with food, water, and emergency supplies that averages 10-15 lbs.

Several times a year I'll hike 10-15 miles over terrain with elevation gains of 2500 + feet.

In April when I walked the Grand Canyon's Bright Angel Trail to Plateau Point and back (12 miles) with 20 lbs of supplies in a backpack, I felt certain that was good exercise.

And that, I would agree with as well. It's not what one typically means by walking, though. Certainly not the kind that most people would be willing to do.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    OP, what exercise do you feel is "great" and "excellent"? Why is walking not worthwhile?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'll mostly agree with that, except that I'd call it a "pretty good activity" rather than "great" -- again, precisely because of the low ceiling that you mentioned. (Also, it depends on what one means by "general health." Walking doesn't do much for strength, for example, and it only helps with endurance if one is sedentary or if done over very long periods and/or harsh terrain. It still has substantial benefits, though.)

Just general health...heart health, etc...not necessarily fitness...150 minutes per week of light activity is great for your general health...I would think walking fits that bill.

Yes, if you want to actually make substantial fitness improvements you are going to have to do more...but if you're just talking about general health and well being, walking is pretty great...my dad never did anything but walk a lot and that helped keep his blood pressure in check and blood glucose in check...that's what I mean by general health.