Workout Accuracy

Options
I have a very hard time gauging the accuracy of my workouts. MFP only suggests a 1200 calorie diet for me, which is literally the bottom end of what's considered healthy (anything lower than that is considered starving as I understand). It's already very hard for me to keep to this level of nutrition and still take in enough protein. So a difference of 1-200 calories burned during a workout makes a significant impact in how effective my weight loss is going to be. The treadmill, elliptical, or Stationary Bike often differs significantly with what MFP thinks I'm burning during an exercise. Sometimes much less (MFP thinks ellipticals burn much more than the elliptical guesses) while sometimes it's much more (walking). It confuses me when my activity tracker thinks there's not much difference between walking and bicycling while MFP does.

If I go over calories in a day I need to know what i'm burning so I can burn those calories off. And 200 calories makes a difference. When the margins are so tight, should I just trust whatever is the lower value?

Replies

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Personally I think I would trust the app more than the exercise equipment. For two reasons. 1) MFP knows your BMI based on height and weight. 2) And it accounts for being male for female.

When it comes to walking, running, cycling I use Strava to keep those different because there is a difference. Even just in cycling Road and Mountain are two different logarithms for what you burn.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's all estimates.

The machines, MFP, on-line calculators, even heart rate monitors....all estimates.

Are you using a food scale or measuring cups to measure your food intake? A food scale will give you a more accurate picture.

Your activity level is a range......MFP used 1 number.......it's all estimates.

1200 is the default minimum (before exercise). 1200 is based on "I want to lose xx pounds per week." So it's likely unless you are very petite (you're not elderly) - that you would continue to lose weight at 1200 + 200 calories, maybe just not as fast.

Pick a number (or a percentage of value X). Rely on that number for awhile. Then adjust that % up or down based on actual results.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Rent a power meter for a week, that costs $75 here. Ride your bike with it. Gather lots of data. You'll know within about 5% of the truth, how many calories you're burning when you're on the bike.
  • kaleshiabussey
    kaleshiabussey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look at the one labeled food IGNORE THE one that says remaining only look at food and calories and use what the machine says because mine does the same I