tricks & tip to stay on course when away from home

Options
Trish1c
Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
This is another big test of the lifestyle choices.

My husband & I will be going away for the weekend. I'm hoping that increased activity -- dancing, swimming & more walking -- even if not exercise per se balances out other vacation mentality choices I make, especially over what & how much I eat.

What tricks or tips can MFP offer me (& others) to mitigate all the temptation when not at home? I packed healthy snacks, like carrots & fruit along with plenty of water.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but just use some common sense and don't stress out about things. I'm going on a cruise in a couple of weeks. I'm not going to gorge, but I'm going to enjoy myself. I'll probably be doing a little more general activity in port, so I'm kinda in the same boat (pun not intended) as you.

Also, just realize that - especially with the added activity you're planning on doing - that you aren't realistically going to put on an appreciable amount of weight. That doesn't give you the greenlight to go all out at the buffet, but you can have a real meal. Just don't eat the 7-layer cake for dessert. Or, at least split it.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    The buffet has never been my problem. I drink my calories. On vacation I'm not going to apologize for "letting my hair down" but the amount of empty calories in booze has been eye opening. It has caused me to drop my wine with dinner habit.

Enjoy your cruise TR0berts. My secret is to always take the stairs & the long way back to my cabin.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I have had long vacations and/or a cruise every year since I started losing weight and for the 6 years I have been maintaining.

Know your portion sizes and stay close to them.

Deny yourself nothing, especially if you are tasting new foods in a foreign country, but don't feel you have to eat the whole thing.

If it doesn't please you don't eat it. There will be more food the next meal.

Decide what will be your big meal for the day and make the other meals lighter.

Have sauces and dressings served on the side.

Grilled and steamed is always available if the food is on the menu prepared another way.

Walk everywhere and use the stairs.

Do fun but active things.

Make friends with your bartender. I am tiny but love cocktails, my treat on cruises, so I find a friendly bar tender that knows I like lower alcohol, juice and 0cal pop in drinks. Makes ordering and enjoying a drink or 3 so much easier.

Remember you will come home with a ton of water weight, I generally have 5+ lbs, and your true weight will take about a week to show.

Remember that this is a life style and a couple of pounds gain on a vacation is fine- you know how to lose it.

Most of all enjoy yourself.

Cheers, h.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I just got back from an all-inclusive in Jamaica. I went by the 2-1 rule: I tried to keep 2 meals in "my" normal limits and one that maybe went over. I would make a decision whether I was going to eat a dessert OR have a frozen drink. I drank water and diet soda. Only gained 2.5 pounds -- but I have been gaining and losing that same weight for a while now ;)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    The two vacations I've been on since dieting resulted in weight loss. Didn't snack, only ate meals and logged to the best of my ability.

Good luck.
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I feel your struggle. It's hard. Especially visiting my in-laws.. I usually bring my own snacks (almonds, popcorn) to munch on. I've been around them long enough to know what they enjoy (ordering pizza, going to movies, etc) so I just plan ahead and make sure to eat conservatively through the week so that I can eat with them and enjoy my time :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Try sticking with local foods: fish, shrimp, beef, chicken with no sauce and fresh veggies at lunch and dinner. Eggs and fruit for breakfast. Drink lots of water and have a splurge or two to enjoy the local specialties.
  • cinnabondelights
    cinnabondelights Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It's ok to have some treats while on vacation but try to remember to make healthy choices as well!

When I was on vacation in Alabama visiting my in-laws, I was still able to cook the regular healthy meals I ate but of course, ate out at restaurants more than usual. What I did was order something that was at least healthier and portioned it (ate half, saved the rest for later). Of course, it was hard to stay away from Krispy Kreme as I hadn't had a KK doughnut in three years (no KK where I am at atm, being stationed on Guam sucks) >_> I gained 4 lbs. but I was able to work it off in a few weeks.

Don't stress if you gain a few pounds after vacation, you can always work it off super easy when you get back!
  • Dreamer_Aly
    Dreamer_Aly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have found it extremely helpful to plan my meals in advance when I know I'll be away from home. Enjoy your vacation!=)
  • ivylyon
    ivylyon Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest switching to maintenence while your away. It will give you a few more calories to allow for holiday indulgences, but keeps you in the habit of logging. If you can get through a vacation without gaining then that's a success.