Deep squats

Options
Kdp2015
Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
Just discovered starting strength website and feeling a bit guilty for probably not squatting deep enough - made me wonder what else doing wrong. Will definitely be buying the book! What have others thought of it? Anyone else still feeling very much 'in the deep end' of strength training??

Replies

• Kdp2015
    Options
    I find the language on the website a bit difficult and 'sciencey' is the book the same?
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Cool thanks
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    I find the language on the website a bit difficult and 'sciencey' is the book the same?

I got the book on Kindle. I couldn't get through much of it b/c it was so technical. I'm pretty dense, though.

I recommend looking up some Mark Rippetoe videos on YT. He's a good explainer in person.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    :/ I've heard ppl talking about NROLW (or something like that!) any better?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Were you at least going to parallel before? If you were, then you weren't doing it wrong at all. I go to parallel when doing back squats and deep with my front squats.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    I'd like to think so but don't really watch myself doing it
  • The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I've really been working on my squat depth. I use my phone to tape my sets and watch it back to see how I'm doing.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    Just discovered starting strength website and feeling a bit guilty for probably not squatting deep enough - made me wonder what else doing wrong. Will definitely be buying the book! What have others thought of it? Anyone else still feeling very much 'in the deep end' of strength training??

The Starting Strength book is really in depth, but it's a great reference to learn proper form on all the big lifts. I got the book when I started lifting, but I followed the Stronglifts5x5 program instead of SS. They are very similar. I recently started to record my lifts with my phone as well and it has helped me improve my form a lot! If you're on Instagram, I save all my lifting clips there under zack_lifts.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started New Rules for Lifting for Women last year. I enjoyed it, was great to start out with, as I had no idea what the heck I was doing in the gym. I bought the Starting Strength book shortly after, as I had no idea what I was doing with the big lifts, and the book was more in depth at explaining things. Some things I had no idea what the he was talking about, after a couple weeks, went back and re-read. Light bulb on what I was missing.

I moved to StrongLifts in Dec cause the other one was talking waaaay too long for me in the gym.

This past June, started 5 days a week instead of 3, and re-read SS again. I learn something every time I read it. Worth the investment for me.
  • aquablue_1111
    aquablue_1111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I wanted to comment on the NROL. I have the women's version (NROLFW) and I liked it initially. Towards the later stages, the workouts were taking me close to 1.5 hours, sometimes 1.45 hours. For me, that was too long. Also, many of the stages had the same workouts with the # of reps/sets being the only difference. I didn't mind that at all b/c I liked the workouts but some people didn't/don't. However, I feel I did gain strength with NROLFW. In addition to the length of the later workouts, using dumbbells instead of the barbell was holding me back. (I was doing this at home and I really don't have the space for a barbell much less a half-rack and bench.)

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There is a newer NROL book, called Strong, that you may want to look into.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Parallel is enough

I'm working on a2g just cos, but my weights are much lower

I like rippetoes squat video TBH ...will find
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Here y'are...moustache optional

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QhVC_AnZYYM
  • capaul42