How to get enough protein and other nutrients on a liquid diet?

Options
VividVegan
VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
I've been put on a 4 week liquid diet by my doctor for medical reasons. When I first heard liquid diet, I thought, "ok no problem. I'll just blend everything in a food processor." But when I asked him to confirm if that's what he meant, he said no. Apparently, I can't blend solids. It has to be a clear liquid diet for 4 weeks. How can I get enough nutrients now, especially protein? And will my gym performance take a hit? I usually lift weights and sprint. Help?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    There are ensure and boost clear supplements you can drink.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Clear liquids? Not even something like ensure? Or a whey protein? Not even milk?
    What is your condition - curious?
    4 weeks of chicken broth looks like an option.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    @JanetYellen there is ensure and boost clear.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I have been on clear before which also includes jello but I was also on TPN so got my nutrition that way
  • VividVegan
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Clear liquids? Not even something like ensure? Or a whey protein? Not even milk?

Currently being tested for Crohn's and Colitis (my colonoscopy and endoscopy surgery is next month). I was having multiple flare ups and kept throwing up whatever solid foods I ate. He kept prescribing medication which wasn't really helping so he said to switch to a clear liquid diet until the day of surgery and until surgery is over with so he can figure out what is really going on and find the best solution.
  • singingflutelady
    edited July 2016
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »

Currently being tested for Crohn's and Colitis (my colonoscopy and endoscopy surgery is next month). I was having multiple flare ups and kept throwing up whatever solid foods I ate. He kept prescribing medication which wasn't really helping so he said to switch to a clear liquid diet until the day of surgery and until surgery is over with so he can figure out what is really going on and find the best solution.

Sounds more like Crohn's than colitis if it's either of them since uc doesn't affect the stomach. @FeedMeFish I should add that I have fistulizing Crohn's colitis.
  • MelaniaTrump
    Options
    Colonoscopy and endoscopy are not surgeries. And I think you only have to be on clear liquids 4 days prior. Not 4 weeks. Oh gosh. I can't help. Something is not right though.
    Those things are not surgeries... that's for sure.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    OK I just found this. But it hardly sounds sustainable for 4 weeks. In fact there's this disclaimer right at the top of the page:
    Because a clear liquid diet can't provide you with adequate calories and nutrients, it shouldn't be continued for more than a few days.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/clear-liquid-diet/art-20048505

I would go back to the doctor's office with your concerns.
  • VividVegan
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »

Sounds more like Crohn's than colitis if it's either of them since uc doesn't affect the stomach. @FeedMeFish I should add that I have fistulizing Crohn's colitis.
    What treatment do you use?
  • VividVegan
    Options
    Colonoscopy and endoscopy are not surgeries. And I think you only have to be on clear liquids 4 days prior. Not 4 weeks. Oh gosh. I can't help. Something is not right though.
    Those things are not surgeries... that's for sure.

Well I heard loud and clear, he said 4 weeks (probably because he doesn't want me to continue throwing up and since the medicine didn't work). If 4 weeks truly is dangerous, I don't know what else to do.
  • singingflutelady
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm on infliximab, azathioprine and omeprazole.

@Jruzer if you drink ensure or boost clear you can sustain it longer than a few days.
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Are there any foods that you can keep down? A glass of milk? Time to open your diary and ask for support from everyone. That doctor may have "blown you off". If you have food allergies, I'm not sure what a colonoscopy or endo is going to do for you.
    Go natural. No whey protein shakes, no fast food. Google FODMAP.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Oops they changed the name to boost breeze j0mz4qvck6sw.png
  • singingflutelady
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry op. I was going to suggest whey protein until I read further that it wouldn't be allowed. So I can't help :( sorry your going through this! And fwiw -. @singingflutelady is knowledgeable and knows her stuff so I'm glad she's able to help you out with this.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The pharmacist should be able to get you Beneprotein. Talk to your pharmacist.

Jello, chicken broth, Gatorade.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Who are these doctors who tell their patients to do something so dramatic as go on a clear liquid diet for four weeks and don't tell them how? Surely the doctor has an over-xeroxed copy of some guidelines collecting dust around the office.

I agree!

Couldnt you ask your doctor for a clarification?
  • MelaniaTrump
    Options
    During this time, would you consider stopping going to the gym? You might not get enough calories in.
    Four weeks for a simple colo and endo seems odd. Long wait. Still not sure how it would help. Sounds like he doesn't know what else to do. I would get a second opinion.