Staying under calories on rest days! Help please!!!

Hey everyone! So, today is supposed to be my rest day from exercising...I'm in uber pain from leg day yesterday but I don't want to go over my calories....how do you make sure you don't go over on days you don't exercise?

Replies

• I usually LOOOOAD up on fresh veggies, fruit and lean protein. A huge meal that fills you up rounds out to be maybe 300-500 calories that way. Also healthy fats, like avocado, tend you fill you up longer so you're less hungry later. (:
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    healthy fats, fruits, proteins, veggies and fiber. You didn't make your diary public so i can't see what your run days are like. That said I tend to take a long view on things, a 1 or a 2 day overage doesn't really bother me.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    How many calories are you eating?
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    I pre-log.

It helps me keep from snacking and I can add/adjust all my meals so that they're balanced.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Sometimes on rest days, I eat at maintenance.
  • My calories right now are 1500 a day...and what is considered maintenance? Like my whole budget of 1500 calories?
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    However many calories it takes to maintain your weight. Honestly, on some of my rest days I eat more than on the days I work out.
  • DOesn't that defeat the purpose of losing weight if you are eating to maintain and not lose?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    If you have a budget of 1500, that includes your weight loss goal. So eating 1500 without exercise is right on target for your weight loss.
  • MercedesV
    MercedesV Posts: 70 Member
    I hear you. I love eating- but if I ate everything I wanted I would have to work out hours every day. On non workout days, I try to eat snacks that fill me up. Like popcorn. Hope your leg feels better!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    My calories right now are 1500 a day...and what is considered maintenance? Like my whole budget of 1500 calories?

Your goal of 1500 calories per day has a deficit built in. Judging by your calorie weightloss goal, I would estimate your maintenance to be around 2000 calories per day...which is about average for the average lightly active woman...more for women who workout. Also, MFP is a NEAT method calculator (eat back exercise calories)...so if someone were to eat to the NEAT maintenance, but they workout regularly, they're still going to be under their true TDEE maintenance level of calories, just a smaller deficit.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,658 Member
    Hey everyone! So, today is supposed to be my rest day from exercising...I'm in uber pain from leg day yesterday but I don't want to go over my calories....how do you make sure you don't go over on days you don't exercise?

I just stick to my calories and don't eat any junk.

Are you relying on exercise days in order to eat more, if so, revise everything, because God forbid, you get injured or ill, you may start to find it increasingly difficult to stick to your calories for the day.