Did you switch from weight watchers?

Options
rebeccavh
rebeccavh Posts: 29 Member
Has anyone here switched from weight watchers and had success? I just cancelled my membership and want to continue to lose (I lost for 3 months and the last 3 I've been up and down the same 2-3 lbs)
So with that said. I left, just would love advice of what people did to have success with mfp. Macro counting? Just calorie counting? For the women- what is your calorie goal and height?

Replies

• kelkel500
    kelkel500 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just left WW after a 3 month plateau and I'm liking this way better. I stick to 1200 calories (I'm 5'5) and on weekends I'll give myself permission to eat my exercise calories if I want a little splurge. I do like the freedom of eating clean healthy fats like avocado/ chia seeds/ olive oil without the passive aggressive way WW added points to them to teach us they're bad- because IMO they aren't at all!

My problem with WW was also because I'm at a healthy weight (though on the high end at 150 lbs.) I was eating a lot of low point food but When I tallied it up on a normal day of eating- it was sometimes 1500 1600 calories which is why the scale stopped budging HTH
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I have tried WW a few times- some just on my own and used the points plus system (you can look up the calculators online). I got tired of paying for one thing, and the other thing is that it doesn't give you more to eat if you exercise. I haven't tried the new, smart points system though but I've heard that many do not like it. In any case, the very simple CICO is what worked for me and I met my goal in March- I mainly ate around 1200-1300 calories per day and allowed myself more if I exercised. At first I ate back all of my exercise calories but as time went by and I got closer to my goal I only ate back half of them, and then for those last 5-10 pounds that are very difficult I didn't eat back any of them. I am 5'4" and started at 180 and am down to 125. I am a small frame and 49 years old and have hypothyroidism so my calories may be a bit lower than someone younger than me. For maintaining I am just keeping an eye on the scale and generally eating the same way- some days I still track and some days I don't, but I'm maintaining now and hope to continue. By the way losing 55 pounds took me about a year and a half. The closer I got to my goal the slower the loss was as well.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I switched from WW years ago. WW works, but you have to pay. MFP is free, easy and I just like it better. It's worked for me. While CICO is true, There is also different ways to eat that WW doesn't support - such as intermittent fasting. I've found that works really well for me. I learned about it from a doc I work with, and it's got a group on here. Nice to not have to be quite so rigid
  • rebeccavh
    rebeccavh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    I switched from WW years ago. WW works, but you have to pay. MFP is free, easy and I just like it better. It's worked for me. While CICO is true, There is also different ways to eat that WW doesn't support - such as intermittent fasting. I've found that works really well for me. I learned about it from a doc I work with, and it's got a group on here. Nice to not have to be quite so rigid
    I've heard about intermittent fasting from Dr Mercola. If the plan in the book I got doesn't work I may try that.

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'm a former WW member and leader. It worked for me 15 years ago but it didn't more recently as my body has changed. I like MFP for the Same reason l liked WW. The support. The camaraderie. MFP being free and available 24/7 is an added bonus. Learning that there are many different ways to lose weight has been eye opening and I feel like I'm finally successful again. WW is great when it works, but it's good to have alternatives.
  • jlj9287
    jlj9287 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I lost on WW when I first started managing my weight in 2012. While it was a successful tool for me at the time and helped me lose 40 pounds, I developed a bad habit of finding high calorie loop holes that added up (1.5 tbsp peanut butter were the same points as 1 tbsp, but less than 2 tbsp; choosing bananas over greens - they were both free points, but very different calories).

The biggest thing that MFP taught me was that all foods are created equal in CICO. I used to feel guilty "wasting" points on something that I really wanted, rather than choosing something free. Now, it actually feels better to eat a little of what I really want than to settle. There are no more good foods or bad foods, just foods that fit in my calories.

FWIW, when I first started WW, I was 24, 196, 5'5". I made it down to 153 in about 6 months. I plateaued for about 3 months and quit after that. I half heartedly yo-yoed on MFP for a while, but I've been back at it for 3 months now and I'm 155, down from 180. I've had much better momentum on MFP than WW and I hope to lose another 25 pounds.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!