Suggestions for seasoning fish

Options
I recently started cooking salmon and am addicted! I usually use a glaze made of orange juice, soy sauce and honey but would love some new ideas for seasoning.
I have yet to make other types of fish, but welcome suggestions!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I use a very thin layer of miracle whip, then sprinkle on Old Bay, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    My current fav is to spread on a mix of honey and mustard then sprinkle with crushed pecans and spices.

A super simple one is to just spread a layer of miso on top.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I love salmon cos it tastes so different dependent on cooking method

Light and fluffy poached for 20 mins in a pan of water with some lemon wedges, black peppercorns, bay leaf

Asian style in a marinade with soy sauce, garlic, ginger, chilli oil, honey and grilled (broiled)

Big dollop of green pesto spread on top and oven baked in a foil parcel with cherry tomatoes in a roasting pan add to cooked fusilli pasta
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I make these salmon fish cakes ....they freeze really well

http://www.skinnytaste.com/naked-salmon-burgers-with-sriracha-mayo/

I use this method as a basis but add 2 red peppers, chopped spring onions, and 2tbsp dried parsley to a side of salmon
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I found this fancy recipe, but it's sooooo good.
    1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
    1 1/2 TBS rice vinegar
    1 tsp sesame oil
    6oz salmon

Put fish on a baking sheet, and place other ingredients on top. Roast at 425 degrees for 15 min, or until desired doneness.

I serve mine with some rice, stir fry or steamed veggies, or a salad. Dinner in 20 minutes!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Reducing junk food and readymeal intake and cooking more from scratch has made my tastebuds sensitive to real (eh, naturally occurring) flavors again. Salt and pepper. That's all that's needed.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    bake in foil with herbed butter (dill, thyme, shallots) + thin lemon slices.

1:1:0.5 ratio of miso paste to rice cooking wine or sherry to ginger paste, marinate for an hour and wipe off excess before cooking otherwise the miso will burn

rub with salt, pepper, and olive oil, wrap in grape leaves, toss in some cherry tomatoes and bake covered, remove lid for last 10 minutes so the cherry tomatoes will char/split

salt, pepper, and fish fry coating (can be baked or fried)

and for skin-on fillets I like to dip in rice wine/sherry and ginger paste, salt liberally, and grill or broil

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I just made this salmon with avocado salsa - it was very good! A simple spice rub on the salmon was very tasty.
    http://www.thecookierookie.com/salmon-with-avocado/
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    salmon is my least favorite fish I cook swordfish with lemon pepper or Cajun spice or old bay if I'm cooking haddock I use salt pepper and lemon
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Cajun spice and saute. Cooked medium or mid rare. Yum!
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I recently started cooking salmon and am addicted! I usually use a glaze made of orange juice, soy sauce and honey but would love some new ideas for seasoning.
    I have yet to make other types of fish, but welcome suggestions!

Cajun crumb and paprika on salmon is tiptop
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Penzey's Northwoods Seasoning. Just sprinkle a nice thin layer over the fish then bake.
    https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/northwoods-seasoning/c-24/p-423/pd-s
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Love salmon grilled on a cedar plank, seasoned with EVO, salt & pepper. Plank makes it crispy and a little smoky. Finish with fresh dill and a squirt of fresh lemons hen serving.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    When it comes to fish, I tend to just use lemon pepper or a spice based on lemon pepper. Spice Cave makes a spice blend called Sea Blend, which is a blend of garlic, onion, parsley, himalayan pink salt, lemon peel and lemon oil. It's also low-sodium, so it fits into my diet well [119mg for 1/4tsp].
  • SheLikesToLift
    SheLikesToLift Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just make mine with butter, honey, and orange slices but I cook it on a cedar plank... God sooooo goood!
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I eat fish like every day. Hubby's been catching them for me so that helps but I love salmon. This is one of my favorite recipes. http://www.theseasonedmom.com/maple-pecan-crusted-salmon/

But I also have another fave but have tried it mostly with bass and tilapia. I season my fish with chipolte seasoning. It's really good. Then serve it over black or kidney beans and top with mango-avacado salsa. I make this all the time. In fact, I'm having it tomorrow.
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of tilapia because I'm a poor AF grad student and frozen generic tilapia fits in my budget. :# I usually just season it with lemon pepper but I've done grated parmesan before and it wasn't too bad.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I love orange soy honey glaze!

I pan fry or bake with a bit of crushed garlic , salt, and pepper. Once it's done I garnish with some lemon juice and dill. Serve with steamed rice sprinkled with seaweed/sesame seasoning. Deeelicious!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    You might like trout, too. Similar texture.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I make mine with lemon juice, capers, onion and red pepper flake. I love salmon!