Step Counter

Options
Hi Guys & Girls,

Just a quick question. How many steps per day is ideal for reasonable weight loss (2lbs per week). This in combination with a healthy diet of course. Since I have a desk job, I have no idea how many steps would be considered as active.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work like that I'm afraid it's about food intake

Exercise is for health

Activity level, steps, can raise your TDEE ...10,000 steps (which is a marketing tool for easy consumption) is, based on my stride length, just under 5 miles ...for me that results, depending on intensity in an extra 300-400 cals ...do that daily, and don't eat them, and I'd lose just under a pound a week

But how do I know I'm not eating them? Food weighing and accurate calorie logging
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Active is more or less considered to be 10,000-12,000+
  • santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I find myself struggling getting to 10,000. I have quite an inactive job, translating at a desk. Often up to 12 hours a day. With the remaining time, I find it hard to get to that 10,000. Any advice?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18562971

Per this article
    1) <5000 steps.d (sedentary);
    2) 5000-7499 steps.d (low active);
    3) 7500-9999 steps.d (somewhat active);
    4) > or =10,000-12,499 steps.d (active); and
    5) > or =12,500 steps.d (highly active)

For me 10k steps is 5miles.
    I have a desk job and get that in usually everyday but I don't do it for weight loss I do it for health.

How do I do it...I get up at 5am do 3 miles then the rest is from my activity at work, getting water, going to the washroom, go for lunch, back and forth from the parking lot, tidying up around home and typically so form of yard work.

Exercise is for health and fitness as it's not required for weight loss...
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    santje00 wrote: »
    I find myself struggling getting to 10,000. I have quite an inactive job, translating at a desk. Often up to 12 hours a day. With the remaining time, I find it hard to get to that 10,000. Any advice?

When you need a break go for a quick walk, its like taking a smoke break but much healthier. Can also log some steps on your lunch break. Try to find ways throughout your day to move more, go to the farthest bathroom from your desk, park a far away as you can so you have to walk longer, use any excuse to get up and walk that you can.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    counting steps is meaningless. you need to count distance walked. one mile = 100 calories. 2lbs = 7000 calories. So you need to walk 70 miles
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    counting steps is meaningless. you need to count distance walked. one mile = 100 calories. 2lbs = 7000 calories. So you need to walk 70 miles

interesting esp considering one of the biggest money makes is now activity trackers...which OMG counts steps.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I thought 10k steps were for maintenance and general good health. Wouldn't you have to do more for weight loss along with counting calories.???

I believe you are going to have to do a lot more and strenuous exercise if you want to lose 2lbs per week. Unless you are extremely overweight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I thought 10k steps were for maintenance and general good health. Wouldn't you have to do more for weight loss along with counting calories.???

I believe you are going to have to do a lot more and strenuous exercise if you want to lose 2lbs per week. Unless you are extremely overweight.

Weight loss will come down to a calorie deficit, it isn't dependent on steps. Can steps help contribute to a calorie deficit? Absolutely. But one can lose weight with a low step count (or even 0 steps) provided they're in a deficit.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

you don't have to do any exercise to lose weight...just eat in a deficit per jane above...2lbs a week would be a 1k calorie deficit.