steps

Options
how many steps can you do in a day, have done 5000 , i was recommended to do 5000 a day by the nurse, im just a learner

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    5000 is that for an exercise walk or total in the day?

If you haven't been moving a lot at all and do very little incidental movement, 5000 is a good start for total, but over time you'd need to get steps up to 10000 and then progress up to 12500 to 15000 per day. This would include all incidental steps plus exercise steps.
  • LisaBrown23
    LisaBrown23 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    highest i got was 7000 on monday :)
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm average around 19000 per day but i think most groups suggest a healthy person should aim for at least 10000. If a nurse told you 5000 start there and build up on that as you feel more able.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Thursday I got 16,711. I haven't look at yesterday's number.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been moving a lot at all and do very little incidental movement, 5000 is a good start for total, but over time you'd need to get steps up to 10000 and then progress up to 12500 to 15000 per day. This would include all incidental steps plus exercise steps.

I'd disagree that one might suggest it's a need to get to 10k steps. The figure is relatively arbitrary with no science behind it. As a reasonable benchmark there is nothing wrong with it, but there is no need to suggest it carries more weight than it deserves.

The main things to think about are getting some time on your feet at regular intervals in the day, rather than cramming them all together.

5K steps is reasonable, but don't knock yourself out over trying to get more. Assuming the advice from the nurse implies some form of medical situation, I'd take the steer from there over what's appropriate and helpful.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    5000 is awesome, if it's more than you did last week. From a standing start you're doing great 3)

Next week try to do 5500 or 6000, if it's too much take it slower

Just keep progressing

You got this

• LisaBrown23
    Options
    7000 was my highest on tuesday :) of course i have a medical condition, i am an rtc surviver walking on a bent bone,have tried for a mobility scooter but the doc wants me to keep walking, i have a walking stick
  • LisaBrown23
    Options
    er sorry that was monday
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    i am an rtc surviver walking on a bent bone Then you need to listen to your doctor and 5000 is just fine.