First Time Tough Mudder - any experienced input?

Options
I think the first step is registering!! Quite empowering. I know it will be an incredible challenge at the age of 53. Not getting any younger!!

Would love to hear others experiences!

Replies

• Hoooooooooo
    Hoooooooooo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Make sure you tape your shoes onto your feet!
    Long leggings are best in case you fall on your behind.
    Take it steady on the day and have a hot pie to celebrate the end.
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,470 Member
    Options
    Don't wear cotton or anything that retains water...even be careful in your choice of gloves. I'd recommend those builders 'grippy' gloves or fingerless ones. Also this might seem silly but wear something fun and bright! You'll find yourself easier in the photos they'll probably take of the competitors as they go round.
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and about to do my 2nd TM. It is really a test of will more than strength or speed. So just....DO IT! Wouldn't hurt to do some hill training and upper body stuff ahead of time. And most of the injuries I observed were guys trying to RUN down the hills and messing up a knee or an ankle along the way. Just go at your own speed and have fun!
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i'm doing my first in the spring!
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with gloves for the monkey bars - your hands (and the bars) will be too wet/muddy for them anyway.
    Do hill training.
    Be prepared to get a tattoo (or do a lot of burpies).
    Drink a ton of water the day before and the hours leading up to the race (but stop in the last hour or you may have to stop to pee).
    Go into it with an open mind, have fun and enjoy yourself!