Water when hungry.

Options
cliftonav
cliftonav Posts: 29 Member
Is it true that if you drink water before a meal that you can end up eating less? Or that drinking water when you are hungry helps to cure your hunger??

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    cliftonav wrote: »
    Is it true that if you drink water before a meal that you can end up eating less?
    Possibly. For some.
    Or that drinking water when you are hungry helps to cure your hunger??
    Nope. If that were the case, there would be no need for "feed the world" projects, or they would be renamed "water the world" :# But you may mistake hunger for thirst, and drinking helps that. If you are truly hungry (too few calories), eat more. If you are eating enough calories, but deficient in one or more nutrients, eat better. If you are eating enough, quantity and quality, learn to distinguish between hunger and cravings, find ways to occupy your mind, get enough sleep and rest, remove unnecessary eating cues, create a better meal structure, including eating food you like that are good for you.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    cliftonav wrote: »
    Is it true that if you drink water before a meal that you can end up eating less? Or that drinking water when you are hungry helps to cure your hunger??

the first one, It can help.

the second one - drinking water when you feel hungry will only help if its not true hunger, sometimes thirst makes you feel like you are hungry so drinking a glass of water can help, I guess if you drink the water and no longer feel hungry then you know it was thirst but if you still feel hungry.......eat something

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I drink a full glass of water 30 minutes before dinner. I add a squirt of real lemon.
    I really think it helps me eat less.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have noticed on the days that I drink a lot of water I tend to eat less. It doesn't really help with hunger though (for me at least), if you're hungry you're hungry. It helps with feeling full sometimes. :smile:
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Not for me. It just makes me feel very uncomfortable. I have a set amount that I need to eat to get the calories I want in for the day so trying to drink water would be kind of pointless for me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The drinking before a meal will only work if you're not one of those 'eat everything on your plate' people, like me. I will sometimes guzzle down a litre of water mid afternoon when i'm feeling peckish which sometimes helps, but if i am truly hungry it will only serve to make me full and sloshy for 10 minutes and then the hunger will return.