Help with TDEE and Excerise

Options
I've searched through quite a few different topics and am still having problems understanding TDEE and Exercise. And how much I should be eating? My BMR according to the Scooby website is 1546 and with a sedentary job, and a -10% reduction it shows I should be eating 1670 a day. I have about 23 pounds I want to lose. I weight 161, and am 5'7". I starting working out recently and plan to work out 5-6 days a week doing both Cardio and Strength training so once I leave work, I literally do not sit down until about 4-5 hours later. Cardio, I can burn about 500-800 calories a day. I know I should AT LEAST be eating 1546, and I haven't been, so I know I will gain some weight resetting my metabolism. Should I be eating those exercise calories back? I don't exercise until night so it's difficult to eat anymore. I'd have to plan during the day for the workout later. Would I add the 500-800 calories to the 1670 and then subtract the -10%? The Scooby calculator says to maintain my weight I would require 1855 if I was completely sedentary. I'm so confused!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Remember that weight loss is all about estimates. Try not to get too hung up on the numbers. Just pick a method and stick with it, adjusting as necessary.

You can either stick with the sedentary TDEE -10% and eat all (or a portion if you're not using a HRM) of your burned calories OR you can recalculate your TDEE to include exercise and then take your cut from there. You can also eat your exercise calories before you've actually burned them if you're worried about eating them late at night. Just make sure you plan your day for them.
  • prettysenshi
    prettysenshi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How would I recalculate my TDEE to include the excerise? Would I mark it as lightly active on the Scooby calculator?
  • prettysenshi
    Options
    If I recalculate as 3-5 hours of moderate exercise. It says I should eat 1917 (-20%). Is it better to do it this way or to factor in the workouts manually? Does anyone know exactly how it's determining how many calories you'd be burning during those 3-5 hours a week?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    How would I recalculate my TDEE to include the excerise? Would I mark it as lightly active on the Scooby calculator?

Just use MFP. Why make it soooo complicated?

It's not going to be that easy for you to lose weight, anyway - you're already in the healthy weight range.

Set your MFP Goals to "lose 1/2 pound per week" and "Moderately Active".

Add in and use (eat) your full amount of Exercise calories. Do that for one month. Then adjust in TINY increments if necessary.

MFP is amazingly accurate - it uses the Mifflin St Joer calculator. You need to pick something and stick to it for a while. It's on you.
  • prettysenshi
    Options

Just use MFP. Why make it soooo complicated?

It's not going to be that easy for you to lose weight, anyway - you're already in the healthy weight range.

Set your MFP Goals to "lose 1/2 pound per week" and "Moderately Active".

Add in and use (eat) your full amount of Exercise calories. Do that for one month. Then adjust in TINY increments if necessary.

MFP is amazingly accurate - it uses the Mifflin St Joer calculator. You need to pick something and stick to it for a while. It's on you.

I wish I was in the healthy range...I'm several pounds away from it, and everything I have is ALL FAT. I adjusted it like you said, and it is almost accurate to the Scooby calculate when I did the lightly active.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options

If you are working out that much, I would put moderately active as a start.....if you feel really fatigued or shaky, bump it up a bit. Always be sure to at least NET your BMR...preferably a bit higher, but never below. Good luck!
  • prettysenshi
    Options
    Should I be logging my exercise as well or is that accounted for in the TDEE if I select moderately active?
  • Bekahmardis
    Options
    Your TDEE accounts for your exercise, so don't worry about logging it.
  • prettysenshi
    Options
    Your TDEE accounts for your exercise, so don't worry about logging it.

Great! Thanks for all the help guys!
  • Bekahmardis
    Options
    Good Luck!