Dulcolax

Options

Replies

• callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    What do you recommend lowering my protein to and what kind of foods can I replace the protein with?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    What do you recommend lowering my protein to and what kind of foods can I replace the protein with?

I'm not a doctor, thats who you need to be talking to about it. But cramming an already constipated colon with more protein isn't the answer and just "fixing it" with laxatives. Eventually, your body will get used to laxatives and you'll need to take more and more to go to the bathroom. I highly recommend you see a doctor. There are medications out for IBS-C that don't have the dependence factor and side effects that otc laxatives do. You can also ask for a referral to a dietician or try the low fodmap diet to reduce symptoms.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I would definitely recommend switching to a more natural laxative. Stimulant laxatives can really mess up your body's natural digestion if you use it like that. I have the same issue as you...I'm not sure if I have IBS but I'm constantly constipated even when I'm on the ideal diet. Lots of water and the occasional laxative and heating pad usually help. I only go once a week usually if I'm lucky, though.

I also take probiotics which I find to help a LOT
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    I would definitely recommend switching to a more natural laxative. Stimulant laxatives can really mess up your body's natural digestion if you use it like that. I have the same issue as you...I'm not sure if I have IBS but I'm constantly constipated even when I'm on the ideal diet. Lots of water and the occasional laxative and heating pad usually help. I only go once a week usually if I'm lucky, though.

once a week?! that surely isn't healthy?

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

It's not healthy..
  • callumwalker1995
    Options

It's not healthy..

I aim for once a day any more a bonus
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

It's not healthy..

"Normal" is considered anywhere from 3 times per day to every three days. Forcing yourself to go more often when it isn't the normal for your body by regularly using laxatives is going to make the problem worse by creating a dependence on them. Make a list of concerns and address them all with your doctor, and ask for a referral to a registered dietician.

List of concerns:

High protein intake while kidney function tests are demonstrating changes.
    List of supplements being taken.
    List of medications (even the ones without prescription) being taken.
    Drinking 5-6 litres of water daily.
    Concern over frequency of bowel movements.

ETA: This is not an all inclusive list, please add your own, maybe some others can make some suggestions for you as well.
  • Christine_72
    edited July 2016
    Options

It's not healthy..

Same, same. I want to have digested/fermenting rotten food in me for as little time as possible, I may be overstating lol But i cant imagine what it would look like in there after 3 days of not going, let a lone a whole week.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

It's not healthy..

"Normal" is considered anywhere from 3 times per day to every three days. Forcing yourself to go more often when it isn't the normal for your body by regularly using laxatives is going to make the problem worse by creating a dependence on them.

I was going to come and say the bold part as well. Not everyone is meant to have a bowel movement daily. I don't and that's completely normal. If I tried to go daily it would cause serious intestinal issues.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    coffee stimulates the colon and makes you poo. so does exercise.
  • Hemlon
    Hemlon Posts: 37 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    After reading many of your previous forum posts, it's my opinion that you don't want advice. You want people to agree with you, right or wrong.

Grow up.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    coffee stimulates the colon and makes you poo. so does exercise.

The coffee thing is true for me, but someone with ibs (even ibs-c) might want to be careful with that.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    For added insurance, adding 15ml of MCT oil into your first cup of coffee in the morning will get results each and every time.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    You're making a series of stupid choices regarding your health. If you don't care, why should anyone else? You've already had this info (and other info) given to you. If you don't want to handle this stuff with your doctor, it's your body and your life. If you want to abuse it, that's up to you.

Stupid health choices? Like what? Plenty of fitness people eat more than 200g of protein, many drinkmore than 5 litresof water a day and many take laxatives

Why are you eating that much protein a day with unmanaged Ibs-c? Do care about your health at all? Why ask for help if you have 0 intention to changing things?

Because it's satiating and the only way to fill me on my bulk

I don't understand. Either it's satiating (good for making you feel full/less hungry, often on a relatively fewer number of calories) or it's good for filling up on a bulk (for most people, I would assume that such foods would get you full on relatively MORE calories, allowing you to meet your bulking calorie goals without stuffing yourself and feeling over-full). Which is it that you mean?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    You're making a series of stupid choices regarding your health. If you don't care, why should anyone else? You've already had this info (and other info) given to you. If you don't want to handle this stuff with your doctor, it's your body and your life. If you want to abuse it, that's up to you.

Stupid health choices? Like what? Plenty of fitness people eat more than 200g of protein, many drinkmore than 5 litresof water a day and many take laxatives

Why are you eating that much protein a day with unmanaged Ibs-c? Do care about your health at all? Why ask for help if you have 0 intention to changing things?

Because it's satiating and the only way to fill me on my bulk

I don't understand. Either it's satiating (good for making you feel full/less hungry, often on a relatively fewer number of calories) or it's good for filling up on a bulk (for most people, I would assume that such foods would get you full on relatively MORE calories, allowing you to meet your bulking calorie goals without stuffing yourself and feeling over-full). Which is it that you mean?

I don't think it matters at this point. The op's goals change with every disagreement on how to achieve them.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Too much protein can make things worse. Eat lots more fat/oils -- they can help with constipation.

Won't more fats/oils cause unwanted weight gain?
    No. Eating over maintenance causes weight gain. Fats do not unless you eat enough to put you over maintenance. It will help you to crap, though. I eat around 60-80g of fat daily and am losing weight.

• Christine_72
    Options
    Look at low carbers diets, they eat ALOT of fat and most of them lose weight hand over fist. I go over my fat all the time, but if i keep my calories in check it makes zero difference to my weight loss
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    Too much protein can make things worse. Eat lots more fat/oils -- they can help with constipation.

No. Eating over maintenance causes weight gain. Fats do not unless you eat enough to put you over maintenance. It will help you to crap, though. I eat around 60-80g of fat daily and am losing weight.

I already eat 85g of fat per day...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I already eat 85g of fat per day...

You are a guy who is bulking. Your needs are higher.