Facial fat?

Options
I'm 25 and have been losing and gaining weight, however I realized that last year, at the same weight as I am now (172 pounds), my face was a little slimmer, my cheekbones now are almost invisible and my cheeks look puffy. I haven't veen exercising though.

Can facial fat accumulate with age? Should I just focus on losing body fat?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Body fat comes off in layers, like an onion.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Are you taking any medications that could be causing this?
    Other things that can cause this are inadequate fluid intake (drink more in summer months), alcohol consumption, stress, high salt diet. Are you eating any fruits and vegetables? Rarely it could be a vitamin C deficiency.
    http://www.med-health.net/Puffy-Face.html read all the bullet points
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any medications that could be causing this?
    Other things that can cause this are inadequate fluid intake (drink more in summer months), alcohol consumption, stress, high salt diet. Are you eating any fruits and vegetables? Rarely it could be a vitamin C deficiency.
    http://www.med-health.net/Puffy-Face.html read all the bullet points

I'm not taking any medication, but I recently started phentermine. I have not read that it causes puffiness though. I do drink a lot of water, consume no alcohol, and my stress levels are kind of moderate. I recently upped my fruits and veggie intake, although it's still not great.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Do you have photos that show this?

It's possible you may just be imagining this. People are very bad at self-perception, myself included.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Is it every day? Or did you just notice it today? Is there any pain? My face gets puffy if I eat way high carb, but it usually hurts as well. The puffiness goes down within a day.

And yes, it's possible you are imagining this as well.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You could be same weight but have a higher percentage of fat as compared to last yesr
  • cwgrant67
    cwgrant67 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My face gets puffy if I have foods that promote inflammation like for me wheat, dairy. Look at the website wheat belly, that has been true for me. I also retain fluid in my face and ankles if I fly or eat foods high in sodium.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding a like a kook- Google facial yoga. There are lots of great exercises to tone up the facial muscles. Like everywhere, it's not going to be visible until you lose the fat over top.
  • capriqueen
    Options
    I can't seem to put my finger on what it is. I found out that I am currently at 35% body fat, so maybe that has something to do with it, but, my cheekbones are barely visible, and my eyes appear smaller. It's like the structure of my face has changed.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    This sounds like bloating. One of the biggest draw backs to aging is that we lose fat in our face which is part of the reason why skin is looser and wrinkles are more obvious.
  • capriqueen
    Options
    This sounds like bloating. One of the biggest draw backs to aging is that we lose fat in our face which is part of the reason why skin is looser and wrinkles are more obvious.

That's scary :( although I don't see wrinkles, and I'm not sure my skin is loose.